Chapter 4

We decided not to tell anyone, at least, not yet. We didn't think anyone would have a problem with it, we just wanted time to sort everything out together before involving our friends. It was Al's idea but it made sense. We were from 'rival' families, even though that hasn't been the case for over a decade, people still said that. On top of that, Al already got enough shit for being in Slytherin and a Potter, I don't think he wanted to add another label to the mix.

By the time we made it back to our room, it was nearly one a.m. We had probably spent a little too much time making out. We stumbled down to the dungeons, laughing at nothing but the pure happiness we felt. Al stopped me at the bottom of the stairs and grabbed my hands. I turned to look at him and it looked like he was about to kiss me but at that moment, we heard someone clear their throat. We jumped apart to see Annabelle standing by the opened stone wall that led down to the Slytherin common room.

"I was wondering where you were at. Elliot said that he hasn't seen you in hours and we were supposed to do our rounds tonight." Anna placed her hands on her hips and looked at the two of us sternly. "Where the bloody hell have you been?"

"Uh, we were—"

"Hanging out by the Black Lake. Scorp thought we'd be able to see a mermaid while on shore but we didn't."

"And why does it look like you two were rolling around in the sand?"

I couldn't help but blush, grateful for the dim lighting that hopefully masked it. Thankfully, Al stepped in again, ready with a lie.

"I scared him and that led to him tackling me into the sand." Albus shrugged like it wasn't a big deal.

Annabelle rolled her eyes. "Boys are so weird. Come on, Scorp, we're already late as it is."

I nodded and looked over at Al. He winked at me and I grinned.

"Have fun you too!" He said and walked past us and into the Slytherin common room but not before blowing me a kiss behind Anna's back.

I grinned like an idiot and she gave me a confused look. "Why are you all smiley? You've been mopey for weeks, what's changed?"

I swallowed. "Al and I had been on the outs for a while and we finally made up."

"Why were you on the outs?"

"We both fancied the same girl who turns out doesn't like either of us. It was stupid really but it's all been worked out."

Anna gave me a lingering look before starting down the corridor for our rounds. "You know you can tell me anything, right? There's not much that I would stop being your friend for. Only if you turned out to be a murderer or something would I start to have an issue."

I felt a pang of guilt but thinking out Albus, I forced out another lie. "Of course."

****

It was hard acting like our relationship was platonic. And honestly, I don't think we were doing that well of a job. I can tell Anna knows something was up, what exactly she thought, I had no idea. We were always giving each other longing looks and it was all I could do not to pull him into every empty broom closet and snog him. He was just so alluring, with his goddamn messy black hair and green eyes that were only made more vibrant with our green robes. The desire was getting out of control and the fact that we couldn't do anything unless we were alone, only made it more attractive.

"You know," Al said between kisses. "It'll start looking suspicious if we both keep showing up late to class."

I hummed, kissing him deeper and burying my fingers in his hair. "I don't care."

Al laughed and I took the opportunity to kiss his throat.

"You're a bad influence."

I looked up his green eyes that were sparkling in the dim closet lights and grinned. "That's funny, because I always saw you as the bad influence. I've gotten detention more times than I can count because of you and your antics."

Al smiled. "Well, we're going to get more detention if we keep showing up late to class and how will that look for a Prefect?"

I groaned and buried my face in his neck. "I hate when you're right."

"Then it's a surprise that you tolerate me," he teased and I pushed his shoulder playfully.

I looked back up at him and kissed him one last time. "We're picking this up later."

Al grinned. "The usual place?"

I nodded and smiled. "Okay, now let's head to Herbology before Professor Longbottom notices."

"He always notices when I walk in late," Al pointed out, begrudgingly as we walked out of the broom closet.

"Then let's not be late," I grinned before bolting down the corridor.

I heard Albus laugh before following after me.