Chapter 2

The am grows from the thin, translucent ribbons, thicker and thicker and I finally come to the realization that we are approaching the City. The color surprises me though, it was not a sick, negative black, gray, or purple, like I had always imagined the Black City to be, but a brilliant slew of pale pink, brilliant white, noble blue, and forest green. We also do not seem to be heading towards it - it seems to be approaching us, from the side. I wait for the train to slow or turn in the direction, but nothing comes, until the dark silence of my cargo container is shattered by the screech of metal on metal, wailing like a mother losing her cub. I am unable to brace myself in time, and the metal cuffs cut into my skin, and I begin bleeding again. My clothes are matted with a dried mud of blood and dirt, and I wish I had just been left to die.

I let out a pitiful whine, and resign myself - I am ready to be unloaded and sold, and hopefully die young. If I believed I would ever be lucky, I might get sold to someone kind, but kind people in the Black City were few, far, and in between; and kind people didn't take Weres who might have mates as sex slaves anyway. Most likely, I would sold to a rich, old, disgusting collector, and be used a couple times and eventually forgotten about, and rot to death in my cage.

I am snapped out of my thoughts by a door opening and light flooding the container. I am blinded, unable to see while my eyes painfully dilate to get used to the sudden influx. The first thing I notice is the am. I have never seen the color gold before, and I have never seen so much. It was like a typhoon, and at the eye, a figure began emerging. Immediately, I noticed how large it is. It certainly wasn't human or vamp - and looks too big to even be a Were. Whoever it is could easily end my life, and I hope they will. I pray that somehow, this is not some sort of security guard unloading me, but some train robber who will take pity and spare me a life of sexual slavery and give me a quick, merciful end.

"Oh my god", a deep voice exclaims, not as much loudly as shocked. I am confused for a split second, because he sounds horrified, but then remembered that I was a male omega, a revolting excuse for a Were, nearly non-existent and universally hated. That, or I look as gross as I feel. Or both. Somehow, though, the voice felt warm and comforting, but a second glance at the broad form brought the terror back instnatly. I don't know what he wants from me, but it won't be good.

"Pl-please, kill me quickly", I beg, my cracked lips bleeding at the slightest movement. "I don't want to be a slave. Please. Just let me die."

"Tess, I'm gonna throw up. I don't know what monster could put anyone in this state, but I'm sick thinking about it", the deep voice says, appalled.

"Shut up and help him then, we don't have all day", a deep, but definitely female voice responds.

"Little one, I swear, I won't hurt you. You're safe now. I- you don't have to trust me", he looks down, "I probably wouldn't."

But for some reason, I want to.

"I know I'm probably gonna scare you shitless invading your space, but I have to get you out of here." His features emerged from the blinding light, and I make out an incredibly broad man, whose presence makes me want to sink through the floor but my stupid omega brain wants to trust him at the same time, seek his protection. Assessing the situation, the reality is that he offered a better chance than the train does, and I would do myself no favors by cowering. He clambered in, holding a key, and quickly unlocks all of my irons. Weak, I try to stand but sway, surprised at the jelly of my legs, and a hand shoots out from his towering figure, snaking around my back and -

The instant one of his fingertips touches my skin through one of the many holes in my shirt, an electric current spreads through my body and I fall against his arm, and watch as golden light beams through his shirt, dancing seamlessly across our bodies, outlining an alpha on his chest - but it's capital. I have never seen a capital mark. Ever. It catches me so off guard it takes me what is likely seconds but feels like hours to realize that I am mated. To the man in front of me.

I don't even know his name.