Chapter 10

Saying the packhouse is absolutely enormous would be an understatement. I'm faced with the biggest building I've seen in my life - and as we draw closers curious packmates attempt to steal a stealthy glance at the alpha's new mate - who is, completely ungraciously, walking as close to Dayn's side as humanly possible. Unfortunately, one of them is brave enough to approach, a large, muscular beta. My grip on Dayn's hand intensifies exponentially, but he isn't phased in the slightest. "Xavier, don't get too close, ok? Do you remember how Owen was when you found him? He's had it worse than Owen", Lisbeth's voice calls from behind me. Dayn lets go of my hand, which makes me whimper a little bit, but uses the free hand to wrap his arm around my shoulders. The beta, apparently named Xavier, stops disappointedly but I feel guilty for already letting my packmates down. Xavier waits expectantly, waiting to see if we'll get any closer and stop to say hi.

Purposefully, I step towards Xavier, hoping Dayn will follow my lead, which he obliges. We stop a little bit away from Xavier, and bursting with excitement, he lights up and greets, "Hi! My name's Xavier - I'm in Tess' pack. What's your name?" Surprised at his Green eyes, I realize that Beta blue and Omega Yellow make green, the way Dayn's Alpha Red makes Orange with my eyes. In my old pack, no one had an Omega mate at all, so Green and Orange are new colors to me. Xavier's friendliness surprises me, I'm not used to big warriors being warm. Somehow, I'd thought that the pack wouldn't be as nice as Dayn's friends, but here was Xavier.

I do my best to channel Dayn's confidence, draw myself up to my small full height, and respond, "My name is Joshua Rane, I'm your Luna. Nice to meet you." I do my best to pull my face into a smile, and Dayn is surprised at my confidence, but my resolve crumbles again and a tremor runs through my body, fully aware I just told someone much bigger than me that I outrank them. Dayn runs his thumb along my small deltoid, back and forth.

Mentally, he speaks, "Luna - I love that. You're my Luna and if anyone has problem with it they have to go through me. Stand tall, stay confident, no one will hurt you here. I'm so happy you're trying so hard, you're so strong." His words wash over my brain, spoken directly into my mind carrying emotion across our connection.

Back in the real world, Xavier looks worried, and hurriedly reassures, "Don't worry! No one here thinks lesser of male Omegas, you're not gonna get picked on. Not like Dayn couldn't put a stop to it easily, either. I accept you as my Luna - I'm happy that Dayn has one. Without Dayn's pack my mate would be dead, I owe him everything. I'm sure that you have the same kindness Dayn does, and I nor anyone else here will spurn what Dayn has done for us. Dayn hates acting above us, there's no "alpha eats first", he doesn't use alpha commands on us, and he doesn't hurt us when we mess up. He has a kind soul and I'm sure someone mated to him has the same compassion - I'm happy to have you as my Luna."

I look at Dayn and he shrugs and casually responds, "I don't think I should be above any of you - I'm just me. I'm your leader, not a tyrant - beating you guys up when you're late to dinner or something is disgusting and any alpha who does that is a sick coward. I'm not afraid of a fight with an alpha if he picks on smaller people, though." Dayn's voice is lower now, nearing a growl, and his casual expression has given way to a sneer, "I know respect beatings aren't uncommon in other packs, and I don't give a fuck - I hope they challenge me when I make my claim so I can show them what it's like on the receiving end."

Xavier laughs and ponders, "When was the last time you really kicked the shit out of someone?" I watch the gears turn behind his bright eyes and finally he exclaims, "Brandon! It was Brandon, wasn't it? When he showed up for Noelle and tried to beat up his pack Omega Owen his first day here. Good thing Tess was there, just in time. God, that beatin' wasn't pretty to watch - dude didn't even know how to fight, just always relied on his alpha size, which doesn't help much when you're a head smaller and eighty pounds lighter than another alpha."