What Happened?

Prologue: What Happened?

It's just another ordinary day, I guess.

I sighed as I took a bite from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was boring at my house to say the least. Both of my parents were out to work leaving me to have approximately eight hours to myself. Not that it mattered though. Even though it was the middle of summer, I was bored out of my mind.

"Who knew summer could be such a drab", I thought to myself as I placed the plate in the sink. Crumbs were on the floor from the bread but I was too lazy to even care. Flopping down onto the couch, I grabbed my phone from the floor.

"Couldn't mom and dad at least bless me with a younger sibling?... Actually never mind", I thought back on Alex's family and how she has two younger siblings; a boy and a girl. Every time I went to her house it was like a war zone. Arguments occurring every five minutes and playful fights that soon transformed into actual fist fights. I shivered.

"I don't think I can handle something like that".

Ping!

I looked at the phone in my hand. I had gotten a new message from Chelsea asking if I wanted to get ice cream with her and two other friends. Jolting upright with a huge smile on my face, I ran upstairs to get changed; typing a reply as I went. I nearly tripped twice, but hey at least I finally have a reason to leave the house.

In six minutes I was ready to go. Rushing downstairs, I tied my hair into a quick ponytail. I grabbed a pen and paper to tell my parents that I would be gone, and walked out the door.

The cool summer breeze was the first thing that greeted me and I felt a sense of tranquility. Everything was peaceful as I walked down the street to Chelsea's house. Her parents were going to drop both of us at the shop where we were going to meet up with Alex and Eren. We did these outings quite often, so making last minute plans like this wasn't exactly new.

It wasn't that far of a walk to Chelsea's house so I reached my destination fairly quickly. She was already waiting for me by her porch step when I arrived and greeted me with a huge smile.

"Avril, hi!"

"Hey Chelsea", I waved at her. It was always nice to see her smiling like that. She would usually be the mastermind behind these hangouts and was the most excited every time. I don't have a biological little sister, but I would gladly name her my adopted one even though we are the same age.

"Mom! Avril's here!" Chelsea yelled as she pulled me in the direction of her BMW. Opening the door, she pushed me into the back seat and I could basically feel the energy bursting. She's excitable just like a little sister.

It wasn't long before we reached the ice cream parlor in the shopping district. Chelsea's mother dropped us by the entrance before speeding off. Suddenly I felt a weight pressed against my back that only got heavier.

"Omg Alex get off of me!" Without even looking back I already knew who it was. There's only one person who would greet me like that besides Chelsea. She's another energetic one.

"But Avrrillll", she whined; stretching out the pronunciation of my name for emphasis.

Alex had a tendency of acting like a little kid even though she's the oldest of three, but don't let that fool you. Towards her friends, she's like an energetic kid that had candy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, around her siblings she's more like a tyrant. I've seen the way she acts around her house and let me just say that a newfound fear was planted into my very soul.

"Just get off of me please", I shook my shoulders, leaving her no choice but to release her grip. I turned around to spot Eren timidly walking towards us.

"Hey", I waved at her. She mimicked my gesture with a smile on her face. Eren was more of a shy and quiet kind of girl. She reminded me more of a lost kitten when she first enrolled in our school, so I had the privilege of taking her under my wing. She's still a bit quiet around us, but it's obvious she's more comfortable when she's surrounded by her friends. Alex pumped her fists in the air.

"Well then, let's go get some ice cream!" she shouted as she ran towards the entrance. Whenever she did anything (and I mean anything), she did with all her energy.

"Seriously, it's just ice cream", I thought to myself. But I still couldn't stop myself from smiling. Just being with these three, brought forth a happiness that can't be replaced by anything else.

Eren, Chelsea and I walked into the parlor (like civilized people) after Alex had dashed in like a madman.

The inside was small, but still extremely cozy. A few tables and chairs adorned the area near the doorway with a few knick-knacks situated on shelves above the windows. There was a huge glass container that fit tubs of ice cream and behind it, an employee stood giving us a warm smile.

Chelsea nudged me forward and I stumbled up towards the container. After each of us picked out a flavor, we walked out the shop, and side-by-side began making our way down the street. The hot summer sun was beating against out backs, but luckily the ice cream combined with a small breeze, joined forces to cool us down.

"So where are we going next?" Alex asked. She twirled the napkin around her fingers as she walked with an extra "pep" in her step.

Chelsea spoke but my mind was too occupied with looking at the child kneeling in the street, picking up a small unidentified object, to focus on her words.

"Hey you guys-" the words started to slip out of my mouth until I saw a car swiftly approaching the child. The driver obviously wasn't paying much attention to road and the motor of the vehicle was so silent that the little girl wasn't aware of it's presence. My body moved before my mind could even process a thought and before I knew it I was standing in the center of road. I pushed the girl out of the way right as I heard the words-

"Avril watch out!"

I wasn't able to clearly distinguish who said those words, but it sounded like all three of my friends said it in unison. A car's horn resounded in the air just as a sharp, intense pain filled my body. Crunching and cracking sounds reverberated in my ears as the pain in my head throbbed wildly. The pulsating of my veins only deepened the aching of my body, and I could hear the faint screams calling my name. Darkness clouded my eyes as the hard feeling of gravel sunk into my skull.

I was slowly slipping out of consciousness and it was getting harder to breathe.

I guess it wasn't an ordinary day after all.