It's Better Here ch. 2

Chapter 2: It's Better Here

"So where are we off to now?" I was released from the hospital mere moments ago and already those brothers wanted to venture off somewhere. We were walking around a busy section which I only assumed was the downtown area. Amestris was completely different when the five senses were involved. The experience was more wonderfully intoxicating, if that's the proper way to describe it. The old fashion sense of it all was going to take some getting used to, but if I could be around the Elric brothers then I didn't mind.

"Just follow us", Edward had thrust his hands deeper into his pockets. He had such a serious look on his face that I refused to ask any further questions.

The walk was silent which usually would be an open door for many thoughts; however my mind at this point was blank. I forced myself not to think about my situation too strongly otherwise I might have a panic attack. This bizarre occurrence was unbelievable but unavoidable. Currently I have no way to find an exit and it seems that, according to the Elric brothers, I belong here. I shook my head.

"No no don't think about it too much", I thought as we rounded another corner. Soon enough, standing in front of us was a beautifully designed toy shop. I was confused but I kept my mouth shut, thinking that Ed was going to give me an explanation shortly. I spied a gorgeous little doll before either of the brothers could speak, and ran up to the glass.

It was a rag doll with a simple design; the simplicity was what caught my eye about it though. Unlike the other dolls which were more extravagantly designed with laces and such, this doll had on a simple one layer dress. Her brunette hair was tied up in little braids and her button eyes were staring at me as if asking me to purchase her. I gleamed at the sight of such a doll and turned to look at the brothers, a huge smile on my face.

"Hey isn't this doll cute?" I pointed at the toy and Ed smiled. He walked to stand next to me and gazed at the little doll.

"That's exactly what you said the last time", he said to my shock. "I brought you here because you wanted it a while back but I said no... I'm only buying it this time because you fainted..."

Now the bewilderment was clear on my face. I said that the last time? What last time? Ed slapped himself in the head with an exasperated look on his face.

"Ah right! You don't remember", he opened the door to the shop. "Well I'll buy it for you anyway".

"W-Wait! You really don't have to", I really didn't want to be more of a burden on Ed than I already was.

Not listening to me, he walked inside the store leaving me no choice but to follow him. Five minutes later I was walking in the center of an Elric-brothers-sandwich with a new doll in my hands.

"In the end I couldn't decline", I thought as I sighed. It was a nice gesture, but it confused me even more. When did I ever go to that shop before? Everything here is just so bizarre. It seems that everyone remembers what I did except for me. It was so confusing but I had to go with whatever they said or else I would be even more lost than I already was.

I tried my best to remember. I shut my eyes tight, searching around in my mind looking for any memories that I may have forgotten. I hunted in every nook an cranny in my subconscious, and for a second I thought I spied a childhood memory of myself and the Elric brothers when we were kids.

We were sitting in a meadow overlooking the sunset. The faint creaking of the swing tied to the tree sounded behind us. I was picking up the little daises beside me as I sat listening to Ed and Al talk about... well I can't recall that far.

"Avril, are you okay?" I head the familiar voice speak beside me.

"Huh? Oh yeah.. I'm fine"

Looking around me, I noticed that we had somehow wandered into a different area of Central; one that was filled with much more people. I hugged the doll tighter as we walked through a busier section of Central. The people pushed and shoved me around as I tried to keep up with the brothers. Due to my rather short stature, I was seen as insignificant as a leaf in the eyes of the bystanders and was tossed around as such. I was tossed left and right, and was totally convinced that by the time I managed to escape the crowd, I would've gotten a bruise somewhere.

"Wait up-!" I tried to shout but a hooded figure nearly knocked the wind out of me. 

I turned sharply to face the person and halted suddenly. For some strange reason, he had an aura around him that felt different from everyone else; I felt entranced for a moment. I gazed at the person, but the hood clouded his face so intensely that I wasn't able to distinguish the facial features. For a moment it felt as is the ticking of time has ceased and the bustling people around me disappeared. 

"Um-", I started to speak, but my body was shoved once more, snapping me out of whatever trance I was in. It was then that the mysterious figure spoke and I realized that "he" was actually not a he at all. 

"Wake up", the soft feminine voice rang in my ears and as quick as light, she was gone. 

"Huh?", I thought, completely confused. 

Wake up? But I am awake.... What the hell was that about?

However, I didn't have an opportunity to ponder about it for long; I heard the voice of Ed calling me. Soon enough the brothers were beside me with the most worried expressions I'd ever seen. 

"Avril where were you? Why weren't you with us?" 

"Ah sorry guys. I just ran into the strangest person a while ago", I smiled reassuringly at the brothers. "But she's gone now".

Ed looked in the direction that the hooded girl had ran off to, an indescribable expression on his face. "What did she look like?"

I got this strange feeling coming from Ed when he spoke those words, but nevertheless I answered his question. 

"She was around my height and had this dark hooded cloak around her. There was a shadow over her face because of the hood, so I couldn't really see her face".

Edward and Alphonse both looked at each other with concern clearly written on their faces. I was confused to say the least and it was obvious that they knew something I didn't. 

"Did she say anything to you, Avril?" Alphonse asked.

"Umm... She just told me to "Wake up", whatever that means", I shrugged my shoulders. 

Without any warning, Ed grabbed me by the shoulders and stared at me so intently that I felt a sense of discomfort. His eyes were wavering in unease and his eyebrows were furrowed in anger. But it wasn't anger at me, it was anger at something else. 

"Avril", he spoke so sternly that I couldn't help but to cling on to his every word. "If you see this hooded girl again: run. Run as far away from her as possible. Don't follow her or listen to what she says; she's dangerous", He spoke with his voice nearly shaking. I'd never seen Ed look so apprehensive before, not even in the anime. It was then that I knew I had to obey his wishes. 

I nodded my head quickly, hundreds of questions swirling in my head. I wanted to ask "Why?", but Ed's eyes were darting from left to right as if he was anticipating the girl to show up once more, and I couldn't bring myself to do it. He finally let his eyes plant itself to mine.

"Promise me you won't involve yourself with her"

I hesitated, wondering exactly what it was that I was getting myself into, but I nodded my head once more.

"I promise", I finally uttered.

Ed sighed in relief and his soft eyes returned once more. He glanced at Al, who fiddled with his thumbs nervously. 

"I'm sorry for worrying you.. Anyway, let's continue on".

I nodded and began walking once more next to the brothers. I looked behind me at the spot where I encountered that hooded figure. There was something about that girl that seemed... weird. However, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I'm sure that Ed and Al both know something about her that I don't. Even though I was absolutely curious about that girl, I made a promise to Ed that I would run away whenever I saw her. It seemed a bit extreme to me considering that she didn't even try to hurt me, but a promise is a promise. I sighed in exhaustion.

Things are getting weird. 

———————————————————-///—-

Done! Sorry if this chapter took forever (like a couple months). It's not very long, but the story is progressing nontheless. I hope you guys enjoyed it ^-^ Bye-nee!