◇ One - The Beginning of the End ◇

I hate letting my nerves get the best of me

I hate letting my nerves get the best of me. For other things, I work twice as hard as anyone else, push through my limits to get what I want and where I need to be. But first-day jitters? My mortal enemy.

"Detective Hush." I look up from my phone and see a smiling man in a crisp white button-down and black slacks. His deep brown eyes show excitement as he holds out his hand for me to shake. "Nice to meet you, I'm your new partner. Detective Jordan Greene."

I return a warm smile and shake his hand. "It's nice to meet you, Detective Greene."

"Please call me Jordan or Greene whichever you prefer. I have to be honest it was kind of surprising that you were my new partner when they showed me your file." He starts to walk through the precinct and I follow behind him.

"Because I'm a woman?" I cringe inwardly regretting that the moment it left my mouth. Jordan stops and gives me a playful and entertained smile. "Actually, I was going to say because you were so young. But take it however you like."

I've been here for a total of 20 minutes and I have already managed to not only make an ass of myself but completely embarrass myself as well. It was common for people to be surprised by my age. I had graduated early from high school and immediately started training for the Police Academy. I'd busted my ass getting through it and working long hours, running a lot of errands, and stroking a lot of egos to get where I am. I wanted to keep climbing, to carry this heavy badge with a reputation of someone that you couldn't hide from. I wanted to live up to the Hush name and for everyone to see me the way they saw my dad. A hero.

We finally reached the second floor where two large mahogany desks faced each other. The desk to the left had a computer and multiple items on it, Im guessing which belong to Jordan. To the right was an empty desk with just a nameplate.

Detec. Hush

Before I knew it a warm feeling of pride swelled inside my chest and a smile erupted on my face. Even a small detail like this, made everything I had worked for so far made it completely worth it. Jordan leans against his desk and fidgets with his wristwatch. "What brought you to the CCPD?"

"I grew up here. I'd been gone for far too long and thought it was time to come home. I also came back to open up an old cold case, hope to get some leads."

That piqued Jordan's interest and he raised a dark brow. "What kind of cold case?"

I know the way things looked when I told people that I was looking to solve my father's case. People thought I was delusional and that I should put my talents into current cases that mattered. I wanted to help people and be the woman that would make my father proud, but since the day he died, I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't constantly dreamt of the day I would put away the person who took him away from me. I wanted to uncover the truth that no one else bothered to try. I licked my dry lips. "The murder of a former detective from this precinct. My father actually."