◇ Four - A Favor Between Friends ◇

Ever since the night my dad was killed, I had vivid nightmares

Ever since the night my dad was killed, I had vivid nightmares. Sometimes I'd be in the form of my younger self watching it happen from the sidelines unable to do anything but scream and cry. Other times I was myself now, imagining that I made it in time to save him, only to be rudely awakened when he would turn around his hand over the bullet wound in his chest.

No matter what dream I was having or how hard I'd fought to get to him, I was always too late. My mom tried her best. I used to talk about my plans to take down the Pierces' to her all the time and she would always get this sad look on her face. No matter how hard she tried to get me to move on, my one focus was always to come home and accomplish my goals. Eventually, I noticed that talking to her about it just made her sad, so I just dropped it.

When we first moved to Colorado, I was so angry. Nothing felt familiar. It simply wasn't home. The only good thing that came from Colorado was the beautiful mountains. My mom loved them, she said they helped her breathe easier. That was the reason we'd moved there in the first place, and we couldn't have done any of it without Uncle Rodney. He made sure we ate, gave me rides to school when my mom couldn't take me, and even helped us load the moving truck when it was time for us to go. We owed him so much that it was almost embarrassing how much we truly relied on him, but we understood why he was doing it. My dad, his partner, was his best friend. You develop a certain closeness to someone when you put your life in their hands. You have to be absolutely confident that you have each other's backs.

That night my dad was eager, he saw his chance to finally get Leonard Pierce exactly where he wanted him and decided he wasn't going to wait for backup. Long story short, Rodney stepped up for us and made sure we were taken care of, and set us up for a good life in Colorado. I'll always be grateful for the love he showed us. My alarm yells at me from the nightstand next to the bed and I stretch reaching over trying to turn that blaring noise off. I always chose the most annoying sound to get me up because it was effective, but I still hated it to my core every time it interrupted my precious sleep.

I blinked allowing my eyes to adjust to the sunlight shining in from the huge floor-to-ceiling windows in my bedroom. I sit up my back screaming at me from falling asleep hunched over my laptop. I was so into searching and memorizing facts about Camille's boarding school that I must've dozed off while reading.

Once I was up the sound of my stomach growling made me stop in my tracks and I patted my poor tummy. "I'm sorry I neglect you." I apologize to my empty belly. At that moment I hear the phone that belonged to my alias Amelia chime notifying me of an incoming message.

I pick up the phone and my heart immediately makes an excited flutter in my chest.

Hungry?

One word. One word was all I needed to know exactly who it was. No one else had this number and just last night she said she'd find me. Considering her family owns this building, she must've checked my resident file and taken it upon herself to get my number.