15

Rose

"The 'Love Ball's... canceled?" Rose said weakly. The Love Ball was an annual celebration every Valentines Day at Hogwarts that celebrated inter-house friendship. It was common knowledge that the four houses don't get along to well... well, most houses (ehem ehem, slytherin), so the staff had a plan and came up with the Love Ball, where all that rivalry is forgotten for one day and instead is celebrated by the one thing that united them after the war, Love. And as the Organization Committee President, it was Rose's responsibility to plan for this year's Ball, and she successfully convinced Professor McGonagall to talk to the Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation to let her have a meeting with foreign witches and wizards so that instead of just inter-house, their theme would be inter-wizarding school-ish. It's not like foreign students would barge in Hogwarts. Instead, each house would represent a different wizarding school and interact with the other houses because Rose felt it more unified that way. Her meeting with the foreign wizards would give her a more thorough idea of their schools, because History Books can only get you so far.

Unfortunately for her, the meeting date was the day she was under the Draught of Living Death, and it was rude and immature to ask the Head to organize another meeting, especially since she heard from Professor McGonagall that the foreigner's were disappointed and had wanted to meet Rose as bad as she wanted to meet them. She would have organized a new theme had she heard the news sooner, but the Ball was three days away and even the whole Committee combined couldn't be that quick in planning a ball. She asked McGonagall if the Professor's could chip in and help but she denied, saying they had more important matters to mind, she asked her what it was. What could be so important it couldn't wait until the Ball's finished.

"What exactly is it, Professor McGonagall?" Rose asked. There was an odd glint in her eye as McGonagall answered, "Nothing that concerns you." But she looked as though it concerned her very much. "But Professor, surely–" but Professor McGonagall waved her off and sent her out of the office. Rose had no choice, but leave the room, empty handed, and failing. She thought of all the harsh paperwork she had to put through last summer just to persuade McGonagall to talk to the Head of The Department of International Magical Cooperation, and for him to arrange such a meeting, and to have foreigners come over for a Ball that was cancelled. The walk to their Common Room never felt so long. Rain was pouring onto their nearly snow-free grounds, and people were giving her looks of confusion and concern, but Rose never looked back. She felt very grim as she walked towards the Girls Dormitories, and slouched down in her bed as a headache hit her. All her hard work for this... tears fell as she thought of it, mixed with anger towards Polly, and sorrow at the meeting she never got to attend.

***

Rose began wolfing down some bacon as she confided in Albus and Scorpius about everything the day before. Eating was Rose's guilty pleasure. When anything went wrong or extremely terrible, she'll eat, and eat, even when she's full. She'll spoil the good foods and eat it in large amounts. she'll eat until she feels drowsy and defeated, like a confirmation to a battle she lost. "That's great!" Scorpius said brightly. Albus smacked him hard in the arms as Rose felt herself go numb, feeling like she was slapped across the face. "That's terrible, Rose. I'm sorry." Albus said sincerely. Rose's spirit rose, but fell just as quick as she looked at Albus in the eye. By the way he looked at her, she concluded that Albus was pleased that the Ball was canceled, but was sensible enough not to show it, but Rose knew him too well, as did he, as he smiled apologetically at her, his cheeks a dull red.

"Don't get me wrong. Reading through all those paper would've been depressing but, could be worst." Scorpius said off-handedly. Rose spread cheese on her toast. Way too much cheese than her sane self would have applied. She then added another toast and ate her cheese sandwich, overflowing with cheese. "You wouldn't understand, and I don't expect you too." Rose snapped, adding mayonnaise on top of her half-eaten sandwich and munching through it, her mouth covered with gold and white. Scorpius looked at her concernedly. "You ate too much. You're normal self wouldn't want this." He said, as Rose put chopped sausages on her cereal bowl and began eating. "Rose, you wouldn't want..." Albus began nervously. Rose's head went all fuzzy and she felt nothing but sadness, anger, and a strange hollowness. "What do you mean? I'm perfectly okay!" She said in a false cheery voice, the words went out of her mouth without her even knowing she said it. She just, did...