Two

Forth

I massaged the back of my neck, I feel so tired but cannot take a rest because of the accident happened in the main road, tons of patients are being transferred here. I close my eyes as I hear all machines at work in this big hospital. Yells and cries are all around, some begs for help, some cries because of pain, and the most painful cries I always heard -- The pain of the families of the dead. 

I don't have someone in my family died so I don't know how much it hurts but all I know from seeing these people begs for us to revive their loved ones, I knew for sure it damn hurts like hell.

"Doctor Jamornhum!" 

I run towards the direction where I was called at. A lady who is now yelping because of the wounds she got in her knees is there, I look at Nate because this is not something to be called at she can do it herself. 

"I-I don't know where to start."

I look at her hands shaking so I close my eyes to calm myself not to yell at her in this moment.

"You don't know? Or you just forgot because you're nervous? if she's going to die right now what does you need to do?"

"Save her..."

"Right! And you can't save her if you're mental health is not that strong. Wake up Nate haven't you heard all those people asking for your help? they are waiting for you to stand up yourself. Just think, there's no one here to save them but you! You are their only hope."

A tear fell down her eyes but quickly move. I shook my head as I observe her she got everything right so I decided to leave her there to tend some patients. Moments later a group of emergency volunteers entered the room with the patient on an orange spine board I can see his blood all over I look at Arthit who is at the right corner tending an old lady I nod at him.

"I'll do it." 

He nod back and I immediately walk towards the patient.

A volunteer sees me and immediately gave me information about the patient. I signaled a nurse who I saw just finished in her patient to help me. She handed me the equipment and wait for instructions.

"A man in early 20's also caught in the accident happened in the main road exactly an hour ago. He's with his 3 friends but he is the most injured as he's driving the car and as per the investigation he tried to shove the car in the direction his friends won't be affected--"

As I listen to him I quietly scan the patient and my hands immediately shakes as I saw who it was. Covered by the blood, unconscious and looks so helpless. I suddenly broke down to my knees lost it's strength and my eyes started to cry the pain I was just seeing a while ago.

"B-Beam."

I can't even hear those words. This is just a dream! He can't be here because he should be there, at our house waiting for me to come home! I tried so hard to think that it was just someone who looks like Beam when the confirmation hits me.

"BEAM!"

I look at Phana, Wayo and Kit going to our direction some volunteers tried to stop them from going but because this is so much of a chaos they didn't pursue doing so. 

"P-Forth..."

 "Doctor Jamornhum!" 

I heard everyone in our department yelled my name as I unconsciously crashed  the equipment I was holding. Arthit run towards my direction and as he saw who the patient was he understand the situation. I tried to stand up and tend Beam but he stops me.

"Get Doctor Jamornhum away from here. I'll tend the patient."

"No! I'll do it---"

"You know the rules Jamornhum! codes and such are made as prevention for something worst to happen."

"Fuck those rules! I said I can do it!"

"If he died right now because of what you're doing you won't forgive yourself right? Go and don't waste our time!"

He turns around and started giving instructions the guards came and drag me out of there I tried to get away from them but maybe because of the fact that they are stronger than me is the reason I cannot. I am tired too. I look back to where Beam is I even saw the sad faces of his friends, my co-workers who is simply giving me pity look. 

No one knows who is Beam in my life in this hospital besides Arthit and Kongpop. But after tonight they might have an idea and I don't care. I was just thinking awhile ago how much pain would I feel if I saw someone I know  hurting so much. I didn't know it will be this early to feel this. 

As the guards drag me to the rest area I saw a boy with his headphones on, his eyes are close as if he is listening soulfully on the song playing. He looks calm and no problems at all. His life must be very peaceful.

Can someone help me? Don't let Beam leave me like that. Whoever God is listening to me right now, just let Beam alive ... I'll do anything.

                                                         ___________________