38

"You know.." Jungkook cut the silence that filled the air after you told the story "It won't hurt if we look into it. The woman and that guy and all."

Chapter 38: Let Me Help

You pushed your bangs out of your eyes, scanning the area. You spotted Jungkook not too far away wearing a suit with his hand dug in the pocket of his pants as the other tapped on his phone.

"Yah, Jungkook." You walked to him and he looked up at you "What is up with yo–"

"There's an ice-cream truck." A wide childish smile crept on his face and his brown orbs were as big as a puppy. "Let's go~"

"Everything here is so expensive. No, thank you." You pulled your arms out of Jungkook's grip "Why here of all places?"

"I'm paying~" Jungkook whined as a kid "Let's get ice-cream, then let's get some street food."

"I forgot you were living in neck-deep money." You mumbled under your breath and Jungkook's eyes dropped into a thin line, shooting daggers at you. He dragged you to the ice-cream truck harshly.

"Pick whatever." He said in a monotone voice, then turned to the man in the truck "I'll have the Nutella flavour."

"I'll have that too–"

"Give her the yoghurt and blueberry one." Jungkook told the man and he looked between you too, then followed Jungkook's orders.

You both got your ice-creams and walked side by side, Jungkook avoiding eye contact. You pressed your lips together, the air filling with awkward silence.

"This flavour tastes good." You licked the ice-cream "Thank you. For getting it, I mean."

"Bought it with my neck-deep money." Jungkook mumbled loudly, clearly upset.

"Look, I'm sorry." You stopped and turned to him "I didn't mean to offend you. I shouldn't have said that."

Jungkook sighed and pressed his lips together, then looked up at you and smiled "No use in being sour, right?"

"Hm." You hummed as Jungkook suddenly grabbed your arm, earning a surprise look from you. He pulled your hand in front of his mouth and took a lick of your ice-cream.

"Mm~ So good." Jungkook nodded and licked his lips, then push forward his ice-cream "Want some?"

"JEON JUNGKOOK, WHAT THE HELL!" Your face burned bright red and he pinched your cheeks.

"So cute~" He teased and laughed, but his expression changed when you grabbed his arm quickly and twisted in lightly but threateningly "Okay, okay I'm sorry I won't do it again."

You let go off his arm and brushed your hair back "Anyway, let's stope the whole boyfriend and girlfriend thing. You finally got Li Soo off your shoulder, right? There's no need for us to continue this."

"Why? I like it." Jungkook licked his ice-cream as you both walked on the Han River Bridge, stopping behind the railing. You looked down at the river below, Jungkook cutting the silence. "I don't know why, but I feel like the nightmare you had was about this?"

"How did you know..?"

"I pretended to be asleep when you woke up all sweaty and looking frightened, which I really didn't mean to do- high school habit." He scratched the back of his head "Then I peeked a little and I saw you making sure I was asleep, so I realised you probably don't want me awake right now, so I just stayed like that until I was sure you fell asleep again. About why I think it's about the Han River accident, well... intuition."

"So..?" Jungkook continued, trying to get you to face him "I want to help. You can tell me your concerns, and I'll comfort."

"It's just that." You shrugged your shoulders "I saw something, got petrified, and that's the end of it. Nothing to it."

"What did you see?" Jungkook asked and you went silent.

"I'm.. I'm not sure." You mumbled at last and Jungkook nodded, telling you to go on "I was on that train in the dream, but like it was a bit different from what you told me. It wasn't your point of view, but I even heard that guy who shouted that the train was on fire."

"Don't you think it could've been a memory?" Jungkook scratched his chin then looked at you "What exactly did you see?"

You and Jungkook watched as the sun set, resting your elbows on the railing of the bridge. Jungkook exhaled and looked at you as you watched the sun rays reflect on the river.

"You know.." Jungkook cut the silence that filled the air after you told the story "It won't hurt if we look into it. The woman and that guy and all."

"In the end we'll be putting effort in something that doesn't exist."

"But she knew about that accident when you asked. I don't think that if someone says 'did something happen on blah blah last year', a normal person would instantly remember. I could be wrong, though." Jungkook ran fingers through his hair, looking down on the river "I'm pretty sure that the high schoolers older brother just wants to take his anger out – oh by the way his name is Do Hyun I did a background check on him – and I happen to look like I'm responsible for his brother's murder, but if the train wreck really wasn't an accident, maybe we can set things straight, right?"

You looked at Jungkook, who seemed to question his own words "Maybe."

"Let's do it together." Jungkook said and you nodded, but then he called out softly "y/n."

"I mean it." Jungkook continued after you hummed in response "Let's stop pretending we're a couple and actually become a couple."

You froze, slowly turning to Jungkook who was gazing at you. Your cheeks burned crimson red and mumbled some nonsense "Well, I mean like I wonder if Min-syuk is doing well and all, you know what I'm saying?"

"I'll leave you to think. Let's get you home." Jungkook put his arm around you and pulled you with him "Though it is weird to see you, who is likely to hit me if I give you a compliment, all flustered, isn't that so?"