Chapter 3 | Wild Greetings

We arrived in Baerfield after two full days of traveling by carriage. We took little breaks and slept at an inn for only half the night to give the horses a break. My entire body was heavy and sore when we entered the small town. I napped throughout the entire trip and regretted sleeping awkwardly against the window due to the aching my neck. Rikiar seemed comfortable and used to such traveling methods, although toward the end he grew cranky with the stress of an impending deadline.

I kept my act going, though I was growing frustrated with his mindless questions and suspicions. I was ready to snap when we finally crossed into Baerfield. It was such a relief I nearly laughed out loud.

Baerfield contained typical houses and cobblestone streets which were fairly clean. There were small shops with various uses for food, furniture, and curios. The town square held a large fountain with angelic creatures spewing water into the air. The citizens of Baerfield wandered aimlessly as they went about their daily routines. Few people stopped in their tracks and watch our carriage roll by before quickly turning the other way.

"Draw the curtains," Rikiar commands, stretching his arms over his head. His white suit now wrinkled from sleeping on his side for most of the trip. "Droves of people will come to see you now. If you value your privacy, I suggest you close them."

Contrast to his belief, I actually enjoy the attention. It's part of my act. I am the charming and captivating actor who steals their heart and money in a blink of an eye. However, for this act, I must do as he says. Hopefully, after a few days in the circus, I can relax and settle back into my usual personality and blame it on confidence.

I stretch my legs out in front of me hearing my knees pop. I wince as I roll my aching shoulders regretting my numerous naps.

"You are a representative of the circus now," Rikiar explains in a monotone voice, reaching the end of his limit. "You must act accordingly and not do anything stupid, okay?"

"Okay."

"People can be annoyingly curious these days. They hold no respect for anyone anymore." Rikiar continues to complain, "They will mob you at the gates because you are a new performer. They will be over excited to see you."

I hide my smile beginning to feel my heart swell with pride. They want to see me. I could get used to this type of attention. It's just as Luca said, I would be perfectly happy here if I weren't so brilliant. If I were born into another life, I could see myself being part of the circus. Surrounded by dangerous feats, beautiful women, pure ecstasy, and all the money I want. However, that will never be the case.

I have only one goal in mind. The only thing that matters is becoming rich and living somewhere foreign with Luca as my neighbor. Somewhere I am free to live my life however I want. I still enjoy conning people so I could do it on the side, but I would no longer have to work or fight to survive. I've fought to survive my entire and worked hard to reach this point. There's no turning back now.

But perhaps I could enjoy this. After all, I will only be here for a month.

A roar of shouting sounds outside the walls of the carriage. I look up curiously realizing I was dozing off again. I turn to the closed window before peering outside. My eyes widen in surprise as I find a mob of people screaming and nearly dancing around the moving carriage. Their expressions wild with excitement as they push toward the carriage with outstretched arms. It's as if the mob has gone raving mad. Is that a woman sobbing with joy?

I find myself smiling at the sight of the mad crowd. So this was the excitement the circus generated. I wonder if it is worth their money after all, or perhaps I am taking part in the biggest scam of our age. Although the circus is made up of tricks and illusions which tricks their mind into believing the impossible. The circus truly is a perfect place for a con artist such as myself.