September 11, 1991: Unfinished Essays

September 11, 1991 (still)

Everyone began to pack everything up at the end of class, making their way to the door. I put my potions book into my book bag to follow Harry, Hermione, and Ron, who were all grumbling about the class when Snape stopped me.

“A word, Ravenclaw,” he said, as I turned away from the door and towards his desk. I briefly wondered if he was the spy Tom had mentioned in his letter, and if I should tell Snape what had happened..

He looked at me and began, “Your behavior in this class today was unacceptable.”

I stared at him a second before responding, “I wasn’t the only one. Why only talk to me?”

“I expected better of someone with your blood status.”

“Well... Aniri is Pureblood too, why don’t you talk to her as well? Or is it because she is in Slytherin? Are you just picking on Gryffindors? Because good teachers don’t play favorites.” I decided I had had enough, whether he was the spy or not, and walked out the door.

 ^_^

I didn’t know where Harry, Ron, and Hermione had gone after potions and spent the next few minutes wandering around Hogwarts. When checked the library, I didn’t find them, but I did find Aniri at one of the tables leaning over a half finished essay.

“How is homework?” I asked.

She shrugged and continued to stare quizzically at the paper. “How do you spell unravelled?”

“U-N-R-A-V- why don’t you write it down?”

She handed me a scrap piece of parchment. “I already tried,” she said miserably. I looked at it saw she was right. She had written down every possible spelling of the word that I could think of and a few that if pronounced correctly probably wouldn’t sound the the word at all. The sight of it made me forget the correct spelling, or if unravelled was even a real word.

“How long have you been stuck on this word?” I asked, surprised that she hadn’t just used another word at this point.

“Five minutes? Ten minutes? I don’t know.” She leaned back in her chair as if writing was the most exhausting thing she had ever done.

“Why don’t you just use another word?” I asked, wondering why she hadn’t thought of this earlier.

“Oh, thats a good idea,” she smiled and pulled a thesaurus out of her book bag and turning to the us. She flipped a few pages before frowning. “It’s not here,” she said, turning a few more pages. “Wait! No, there it is. Oh, now I can spell it.”

She continued to write the essay.

“So how did you manage to break into Gryffindor Tower?” I asked, still wondering how she had gotten ahold of my journal.

“Oh, I just walked back and forth near the entrance with some books until I heard some Gryffindors say the password.” She responded as if it was nothing that she could break into another house. “I know Hufflepuff’s too. Its actually a rhythm that you tap. Ravenclaw’s is a little trickier, you have to correctly answer a riddle.” she smiled. “But I have heard most of them before, so its not too much of a challenge.”

“You can get into all of the houses?” I asked surprised.  For some who struggled so much with spelling, she was very talented at things most wizards didn’t have the patience for.

Aniri glanced down at her essay and measured it. “It’s four inches too short,” she groaned. “How am I supposed to make this longer? I’ve covered everything!”

I read her essay. It was the one Professor Flitwick had assigned on explaining the uses of the charms we had begun learning about. I read through it. She had covered everything, and more. I hadn’t even started mine yet.

“I’m sure if you just turn it in then you can get most of the points. I haven't even started mine yet and it won’t be as detailed as yours.” I wasn’t that good at helping, and it was a good essay.

“Why do they even have the measuring thing? If a paper explains everything they asked us to explain then it should get full points!” She snapped the text book shut and left before the librarian could tell us to be quiet.

I  looked at my watch and realized dinner was going to start soon. I grabbed my books and headed down to the Dining Hall for dinner.

______________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry about the EXTREMELY long wait and the short chapter. I pretty much had run out of ideas for the first year, plus I lost my Harry Potter book. I still can't find it, so I've just been using a free book website. Also, my sister and I have decided to  co-write this story from now on because she has ideas and I don't, so you may see a difference in writing style. I go back to school tommorrow, but I will try really hard to updatemore frequently. Happy reading!