5 ~ insults

Leo's different signals are messing up my head. I'm not sure how I feel for him either... But he saved me during that party. Does that mean I can trust him? 

I walk home even though Leo offers me a ride. I need time to think and Leo seemed to be in a bad mood and I don't want to have insults thrown in my face today.

"Where the hell have you been?!" my mom yells as I enter the house.
I put my hands up in surrender and sit down at the dinnertable. Mom leans against the countertop and crosses her arms over her chest.
"I can explain." I stutter.
Mom raises her eyebrows. "There has to be a really good explanation to this! You're grounded for life!"
I inhale a deep breath, I can either lie or tell her the truth.
"I slept over at Sofie's house." Ugh.
"I was worried to death! I was just about to call the police! I do not except this behavior and you can forget ever going to a party again!" mom yells.

~

The next day I wake up by my phone buzzing. I stare at the screen with half opened eyes. Winston.
"Hi!" my voice is raspy.
"Hey, I didn't see you much during the party." he speaks.
"Uh, yeah I had to go home." I'm quick to say. He will think I'm an idiot if he knows what actually happened.
"I was just wondering if I could drive you to school today?" Winston suggests.

I agree to the offer and an hour later Winston appear a block from my house. 

"Thanks for picking me up!" I chime as I sit down in the car.
Winston pulls his hands through his dark hair and his green eyes glitter. "I'm officially your taxi driver."
We drive to school talking about everything. I have really started to like Winston. He is a thousand times kinder than Leo, but still just as good looking.

As fast as the both of us enter school I feel Leo's eyes on me. Shit. He is standing on the other side of the corridor, talking to one of his friends. When he sees Winston next to me he furrows his eyebrows and I just want to disappear.

Winston sees Leo staring at me and he chews energetically on the gum in his mouth.

"What the fuck are you staring at." Winston hisses as we walk past Leo. My eyes widen and I crouch my shoulders. Leo raises his brows, shocked by the sudden confrontation. Then a smirk slowly appears on his lips.
"It's not my fault that I can't stop myself from staring at your ugly face Winston." Leo hisses. Everyone in the corridor chuckles but I just stand there, biting my lip.
When Winston suddenly loads a punch toward Leo I spin around on my feet and hurry as far away from there as possible. I can't tell if I'm scared or angry, but the blood is boiling in my veins. 

I met Andrea and Sofie by my locker and I decide to tell them about everything that has happened

"Damn girl. I feel bad for you." Andrea whispers and places a hand on my shoulder.
Sofie on the other hand seems excited. "Jeez you should be happy. You're getting attention from two of the most popular guys in school!"
I groan. "I don't care if they're popular. They're acting like idiots."

I don't see Leo nor Winston during the rest of the day. When my last lesson for the day is over I get to find out why.
Leo is standing next to his car when I see him. Something seems off with the way he moves.
"Hey!" I yell as I run up to him.
Leo turns his head and stares at me with his blue eyes. My jaw falls open when I saw his face. He has a large bruise over his cheekbone and purple marks along his jawline.
"Hi." he whispers.
"What the heck happened to you." I burst out.
"You would have known if you wouldn't have ran away."
Okay... Is he blaming me all of a sudden?

"You're all bruised up." I say under my breath. I let my hand caress the marks on his face. Leo is quick to shove my hand away.
"Don't touch it." he hisses and looks away.
"I'm sorry." I crack.
Leo shakes his head. "Don't be, I'm just having a bad day."
We stand there in silence, it's an awkward silence.

"So... What are you going to do this afternoon?" I ask, way too loud... Ugh, kill me. 
Leo scratches the back of his head and gazes down at the ground. "Uh, I dunno'. Nothing in particular..."

"Mhm. Okay." I nibble on my bottom lip and pretend to be focused on the small strands of hair on my shirt. They don't bother me at all. Leo being this quiet and awkward on the other hand...

"Yeah uhm-" Leo trails off and peers down at me. 

I chuckle awkwardly and look at the ground through the corner of my eyes. "We could do something... If you're not bussy?" Oh my god! Why did I say that!? He doesn't want to hang out with me and I don't want to get into trouble!

"Sure!" 

My eyes shoot open in shock from the answer. What? Doesn't he have a thousand of other friends to hang out with?

"Oh, okay... We could go to the table by the parking lot... You know, where you almost scared me to death?"

Leo's face lits up in a smile and I can't stop the blush which he probably notices.

"I'm just going to text my mom and tell her I'm not coming home right away." 

"It's not like we're gonna' stay out here the whole night, chill." Leo laughs and shakes his head with makes me send him daggers. Well, sorry, it's not my fault I have an overprotective mother.

"Don't forget the heart emojis." Leo grins and peeks over at my phone where I'm writing to my mom. I glare up at his face, which is extremely, extremely close to mine. He looks up at me through his lashes and I close my eyes. He's going to kiss me.