3 - smirk

"What are you doing?" Sofie's head pops up next to my locker and I flinch which makes me drop the pencil which breaks once again.

"Are you trying to glue a pencil together?" Sofie laughs loudly as she spots the glue in my hand. I glare at her and bend down to pick up the broken pieces.

"Yes." I hiss. "Leo broke it without a reason." the sobs push their way up my throat without me being able to control it. I squeeze my trembling lips together which makes Sofie throw her arms around me.

"Awh, sweetie. Ignore him, he's an idiot."

"No, he is not. He's kind to everyone but me." I hiccup.

"Do you want me to talk to him?" she proposes which makes my eyes shoot open. How does she dare? Leo would make a fool out of her!

"No, no, no. I'm fine." I sniff. "Can you see that I've been crying?" I ask her. Sofie's eyes wander over my face and she shakes her head, no.

After lunch Wrena and I sit down by a table in the corridor. She braids my blonde hair while I tell her about the book I've been reading. She probably finds it boring, even though she encourages me to tell her about the different characters and the complicated storyline.

Suddenly Oliver shows up from the middle of nowhere with that large smile which I know he fools so many girls with. Is there any girl in this school he hasn't slept with? He's almost as bad as Leo; the terror himself. 

As Oliver acts like I'm not even there I decide to gently make my way away from their flirting and stupid laughing. I sit down by a hidden bench next to the school's parking lot. Finally some peace and quiet. I have no problem with being alone, but sometimes I wish guys payed attention to me the way they do to Sofie and Andrea. What do they have that I don't?...

"Yo Jackie, my favorite person." a humored voice says and I scream out in terror as someone bumps down right next to me on the bench. 

"What are you doing?" I gasp for air as I see that it's Leo. Wait, Leo? What is he doing here? He has an unlit cigarette between his lips and I can't help but frown. Smoking is bad.

"When are we going to meet for the history project?" he asks with a gentle smile. Gentle? Since when is Leo gentle?

"What history project?" I furrow my brows.

Leo opens his mouth wide and pretends to be in shock. "Do you not pay attention during the lesson. Wow, I who thought you were such a prude."

"I do, pay attention during the lessons." I snurp my mouth together and cross my bare arms over my chest.

"Okay, then you probably remember that we're supposed to finish a project until tomorrow?" Leo tilts his head down and looks up at me with a mocking smile.

"Of course I remember that." I lie. "What was it about now again?" I add in, in a lower voice.

Leo suddenly looks baffled and he looks out into thin air. "Uh. It was." he pinches his nose bridge. "Vikings."

I must have really dozed off during that class...

"So I thought we could go to my place this afternoon and do it." Leo says and plays around with the cigarette with his tongue. 

Did Leo just invite me to his house? Oh my god. I must be dreaming!

"Sure."

"Great." And just like that, he is gone and I'm sitting alone. The heat in my face is the only evidence I have that Leo was ever here. I must tell Sofie about this!

.

After school I walk out on the parking lot and search with my gaze for Leo. Where the heck is he?!

"Yo Jackie!" someone shouts from behind me. I spin around on my feet and see Leo and a group of his scary friends sit on a bench, smoking. I look at them with round eyes and swallow as Leo waves for me to come.
"Um hi." I mumble when I walk up to them. They all smirk and eyes me up and down. I feel my hands start to sweat and my eyes flicker.
"Is this your girl?" one of the guys I remember as Shane asks Leo. He shakes his head with a grin.
"History project." he explains.
One of the guys hands me his cigarette. "You want a puff?"
Leo chuckles and eyes me up and down. "She doesn't smoke."

I take the cigarette and place it between my lips. "Thank you." I say to the guy who handed it to me. Leo is right, I don't smoke, but he isn't going to tell me what I do and don't. The guys chuckles and I smirk. After taking a puff I start to cough and I quickly hand the cigarette back.
"Like I said." Leo says with a smug face and my face flushes pitch red.

"Anyways me and Jackie have to go now." Leo smirks and wiggles his eyebrows at me.