16 ~ guilt

"Don't answer him." Winston demanded as Leo's name popped up on the screen. I looked over at him where he was laying in my bed with a wrinkle between his eyebrows.

I sighed but still decided to answer the call.
"What Leo?" I snapped.
It took a while before he said something. What the heck was he doing? Probably drinking.
"J-Jackie." he stuttered.

My heart ached when I heard his voice. For a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't pay much attention to his voice, but now it made my heart pump faster in my chest.

There was nothing I wanted to do more than to run over to his house and kiss him. Feel his perfect, soft lips against mine. But I had Winston now and he would never hurt me the way Leo did.

"H-help me." Leo begged into the phone. His voice was raspy and he seemed to be struggling with the words. His breaths were shaky and hard. Jeez, how much had he been drinking?
What did he want me to help him with anyway? Give him a blowjob? Probably.

But there was something with the way he sounded that gave me chills. There was something that wasn't right.

I looked over at Winston who had a big frown on his face.
"Just end the call." he spat.
I turned away from him and inhaled a deep breath.
"I'm not up for your games Leo." I told him.
"N-no." he cracked out. His voice was even weaker now and it sounded like he had a loss of air.

"I-I can't brea-" Leo choked out.

I ended the call before he got to finish his sentence. I didn't want to hear what he wanted to say. He was just going to fool me again.

I put down the phone on my desk and turned to Winston with a crooked smile.
"What did the hobo tell you?" he asked.
I sat down on the bed next to him and sighed loudly. "He was making up these lies that he needed my help. Blah, blah." I chuckled.

Winston joined my laugh and I laid down on the bed next to him.

- - - -

Leo didn't show up in school the next day either. I don't know why I worried so much about him, it's not like he ever cared about me.

While I was walking in the corridor I saw one of Leo's friends, Shane, standing by a locker with a phone in his hand.
I slowly approached him, trying to decide whether or not to talk to him. He didn't seem like a very friendly type.
"Excuse me?" I said in a low voice.
His head snatched up and he glared at me with narrowed eyes.

"Do you know where Leo have been?" I asked him. Shane chewed on the inside of his cheek and looked me up and down, like he was trying to remember who I was.
"Oh yeah, you're his bitch, right?" he muttered.
He didn't seem to bother that I shook my head to his question.
"He's at the hospital of some shit." Shane told me with a shrug. "Or, he's dead I dunno'"

My eyes watered up and my gaze became blurry. Hospital, dead? W-what?
"What h-happened to him?" I asked.
Shane grinned. "I thought you're his girl? Ain't you supposed to know about this kinda stuff already?"

I din't answer him. Instead I started running toward the exit of the school. My mind was spinning and I couldn't think clear. All I was sure about was that Leo was hurt in some way and I hadn't been there when he needed me.

Was this why he had called my the other day? Was this the reason to why he had asked for my help? Because he was hurt? Oh my, I am a terrible person!

I hurried to the hospital and bursted in the entrance. I was sweating after the running and drops of sweat were trickling down my forehead.
"Where can I find Leo... uh. Leonardo DiCaprio?" I asked the woman behind the desk.
She stared at me with a frown. "Are you related?" she asked.
"I'm his girlfriend." I lied.
She sighed and pointed down the corridor. "Room 142." she told me. "I'll take you there."

We started walking through the corridor and I tried to cool my rapid breathing.
"What happened to him?" I asked.
"Photos of his brain showed than he got a serious panic attack which was close to leading to a heart attack." the woman says. "He got a large bruise over his forehead which led to an extreme blood loss. He may have fell and landed on his head or banged his head against a wall, we're not sure."

My heart was racing in my chest when she told me what happened to Leo. I wanted to run home and hide from the rest of the world because of embarrassment. Embarrassment that I wasn't there for the person who would sacrifice everything for me.

"He will be extremely vulnerable for the upcoming weeks. Only a small amount of stress or panic can easily lead to another panic attack or something worse." the woman said. "His body and brain is still in shock."
She stopped walking and pointed toward a door. I thanked her for the help and slowly walked into the room.

My mouth fell open when I saw Leo and I was filled with guilt. He was laying on his back, staring out in thin air, blinking slowly. He had a large bruise on his forehead and he was dark under his eyes.
"L-Leo." I whispered and slowly approached the bed. Leo's head snapped to the side and his puffy eyes met mine. His face stayed expressionless and I felt a single tear roll down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry." I said with a shaky voice.

-      -      -      -

Yeet

Pls vote and comment🥺😝