Terminal

Bucky was worried about Natasha. She was avoiding him, avoiding the whole team. She'd take long mission in the middle of nowhere and claim she needed space. He'd given her space and time but even now, nearly 7 months in, she was still avoiding him. It didn't make sense.

He was sitting in their room. Most of it empty and in boxes. She was moving out. Claimed it wasn't working, that they were different people from the past. But she'd kept the ring. And his dog tags. A knock at the door startled him. It was Tony. "She's gone."
"What?" The billionaire sighed.
"She's quit the avengers and is heading to the European division." Bucky sat shocked. It wasn't possible. Tony held out the papers. She couldn't do this, not now. He rose from the bed and checked over the form but there was no denying her scribbled handwriting. This had to end.

He stormed through the facility in search of the red head and soon gathered quite a crowd, consisting of Barton, Steve, Tony, Wanda and Sam. They turned the place upside down trying to find her. Eventually though they spotted her exiting her room, boxes tucked under one arm and a suitcase in the other. She was fiddling with the keys, trying to lock the door. She stopped at the sight of them.

"Natalia," she shook her head, dropping the keys and immediately crouching to catch them. She was trembling and gently placed the boxes on the floor. Bucky stepped closer and she was on her feet, ready to make a run for it. "Natalia please, why are you leaving? It doesn't make any sense." She stared at him and looked him straight in the eye. Her lower lip quivered slightly as she replied.
"There's nothing here worth staying for." She turned to leave, not being able to stand his hurt puppy dog eyes, when he leapt forward and scooped up one of the boxes.

Inside lay every piece of him that she loved. Photos, journals, old ballet slippers, everything she said was too sentimental and would only tie her down. He raised his head and tried to ask her something but she'd bolted. He dropped the box and took off after her. She wove between agents whereas he just barrelled through them. She slipped into busy rooms and tried to blend in until he spotted her and called out everyone around her. She ran and ran and almost made it to the garage when he caught up with her and slammed her against the wall. She cried out and he softened, though his grip never wavered.

"Why?" She shook her head. "Why? Dammit why? Natalia what is happening?" She turned her head away but he gently pulled it back. He was surprised to see tears rolling down her cheeks, real, proper tears. He let go of her in surprise and she sank to the floor sobbing. She wrapped her arms around her knees and cried, shaking. He gently lowered himself as well and tentatively placed an arm around her. She fell into it and he held her close to him as he rocked back and forth soothingly. He ran his fingers through her tangled hair and let her cry into his shoulder.

When she was finished they continued to sit like that, the only sound was her quite sniffling. "I'm sorry." He tucked her closer. "Please don't get mad but I couldn't do it to you. Any of you. You're my family and I can't hurt you. I decided to run instead." He rubbed her back soothingly, a little alarmed at the similarity of a frightened child. "I'm sorry, so sorry."
"There's nothing to be sorry for." He cupped her chin gently and looked into her watery eyes. "Please don't apologise. How about we return your stuff and talk this out hmm? Does that sound ok?" She shook her head.

"I'm sorry James, but I have to leave."
"No you don't. You don't have to do anything, just come home."
"I wish I could." She wiped her eyes uselessly as more tears fell. "I really do, but James I can't stay. I'm going somewhere safe."
"At least tell me where." He begged her. He didn't understand. She bit her lip before encircling her arms around his shoulders and pulling him into her. He was surprised by the gesture and immediately his heart sank as he braced himself for bad news.

"James, I'm going to a safe house, somewhere I can die peacefully." She looked up at him. "I'm told I have two weeks at the absolute max and that's only because of my serum. I'm sorry baby, but I'm dying."