Unhappy

The little girl watched from behind the pantry door as her mother brought out the day's kill and hung it on the hooks. She stroked through its soft fur and gently untangled its knotted coat, smoothing the matts and fondling the ears. The hare dangled upside down, a hole through its side and big glassy eyes staring dully at the shafted sunlight creeping into the kitchen. The little girl knew her father could have shot better.

Her mother reached for the wicked knife on the side board and brought the blade up to rest against the animal. Her apron was already marked with dirty smudges yet the rings on her fingers remained perfectly polished. The master's voice echoed above them as he joined in the raucous laughter of the gentlemen's club he was hosting in the drawing room. No doubt they were discussing women and money. Their voices hardened something in her mother as she skinned it from head to toe and worked on hacking up the tough meat.

Blood and skin dropped to the scrubbed table and the girl absentmindedly plucked at the hem of her fur coat. The heart was ripped out viciously and the girl tried to hold in a gasp as she watched tears fall from her mothers eyes. A few strands of curly red hair shone like copper in the setting sun and little rays of light winked off of the necklace draped around her throat. Her father's ring dangled off of the chain, cleaner and warmer than the one on her finger.

She set the meat to cook before pulling out a chair and collapsing onto it. The heart on the table was thrown to the floor and pounced on by the greedy cat. Her claws sunk into it and splurged blood in all directions. Her mother wiped flecks of it off of her cheek. The little girl creaked open the door and padded over. She crawled onto her lap and tried wiping away her tears with her tiny little hands. She received a watery smile from her mother and gave a gap toothed one in return.

Her mother held her close and rocked her gently, cradling her to her chest. The little girl lay her head against her heart and listened to the steady rhythm, sticking her thumb in her mouth and sucking it. Her mother gently pulled it out. The girl stared up at her with big blue eyes. "Momma, when's poppa coming home?" She bopped the little girl on her nose.

"We've talked about this haven't we Anastasya? Poppa loves you very much but I don't think he's coming home." Anastasya's bottom lip started wobbling.

"Is it because he doesn't love me?" She rubbed her eyes with her knuckles as she started crying. Her mother gently rocked her and placed little kisses in her chocolate brown locks.

"No sweetie, no. Poppa loves you very much, you're his little peanut remember?" She nodded and wrapped her little arms around her mother's neck, burying her face in her hair. Her mother held her comfortingly and hummed soothingly to her little girl.

They only moved when the dinner was ready and she had to take it up to her husband. This was the bit she always dreaded most. She told her daughter firmly to hide in the pantry and stay there until she came to get her. Her daughter would always nod and promise to do so, not understanding the noises overhead. This time however, she was curious and snuck up the stairs to spy on them.

Her mother entered the room with swishing skirts and a silver platter in hand. Her lip quivered for a second and her eyes showed fear and sadness before she put up her walls and presented the men with the hare. She noticed the crowd was larger tonight and inwardly shuddered. The dish was placed on the side by her husband's extravagant chair and lavish ornaments. She was tasked with cleaning them every third day.

An arm curled around her waist and pulled her roughly into someone's chest. She smelt the whiskey on his breath and closed her eyes briefly. "It looks delicious, but not as ravishing as you my sweet Natalia." His hands wandered around her skirts and she halfheartedly pushed him away. He pulled her back and was unashamedly groping her, his fingers playing with the ties of her bodice. She looked down at her feet before his hand held her chin, forcing her to look up at him. She turned away and he slapped her. A small gasp came from the windows.

Natalia made eye contact with Anastasya and her heart swelled with fear for her daughter. "GO ANASTASYA!" She was slapped again and shoved forcefully against the large desk. Men were hooting and laughing as her husband snapped the tie holding her hair and it fell in warm red waves around her pale face. She saw Anastasya dart out of the door and one of the new men follow her. She prayed her daughter would be safe.

Her husband stood towering above her, the cloth used to keep her hair out of her face was dangling off of his finger and he leaned closer. "Please, my daughter." He took no notice and tangled his hand within her hair. He tugged it harshly and she was pulled to the side. Her neck now exposed to the rough feeling of his lips as he brought them to her skin and bit down hard. She felt no pleasure at his insistent touching and could only cringe as he made to hoist up her skirts and unthread her bodice. "No." She jerked her head away but he was persistent. "NO!" She kicked out at him and he stumbled back.

"How. Dare. You." He stormed forward and she ducked out of the way. He grabbed her by the arm and was in the process of trying to rip off her front piece when a cane whacked him upside the head. He dropped her in shock and she crawled away. Anastasya was in the corner and ran to help her mother. The cane was attached to an attractive man in a soldiers uniform. Medals decorated his jacket and his cap was left sitting on one of the chairs. Both hands were covered by gloves, but no amount of clothing could hide the obvious strength of muscles. His eyes were scariest of all though, ice cold yet razor sharp. They'd seen things. Dark and terrible things. One look had the other men scrabbling for their coats and bidding hasty goodbyes.

"I believe the lady said no." His voice was smooth and low yet had a slight rasp as if he'd inhaled too much smoke. No amount of years could mask his identity to Natalia as she clutched her necklace in hope and pulled Anastasya closer. Her husband looked terrified and held his hands up placatingly. He only managed to stutter out two words before he was knocked flat onto his back by a powerful hook. "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" He swung the cane down and ensured that he would no longer be able to have children. Howling in pain, the man fled from the house. Leaving only three people in the large estate.

"James?" Natalia had to be sure. His hair was longer and his form was bigger but there was no denying her true husband's handsome face.

"Natalia," he breathed and she flung herself at him. He engulfed her in his arms and practically crushed her against him, burying his face in her hair. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, I should never have left." She placed a finger against his lips and silenced him with a soft but firm kiss. He kissed back just as enthusiastically and it probably would have become something more had a small voice not interrupted.

"Poppa?" Anastasya peeked out from behind her mother's skirts. James bent down and his face split into a huge grin when he saw his beautiful little girl.

"Peanut! Come here sweetie!" He held his arms open and she ran into them joyfully. All three were crying as they embraced as a family for the first time in six years.

A/N the ending feels a little rushed. Sorry for my inactivity. :)