A Winter Wish

Inspired by Dean Martin's Baby it's Cold Outside.

Bucky and Natasha lay curled up on the couch with Natasha's phone in front of them. Pepper was waving from Malibu, outside bright and sunny in contrast to the dark and snowy streets of Brooklyn. In the background they could hear a very off key Tony singing and dancing around with tinsel and a magically refilled glass of sherry.
"Jingle bells Bruce Wayne smells Batman flew away, uncle Billy lost his-"

"TONY!"

"On the freeway HEY!" Pepper turned back to face them and ran a hand through her hair.

"All day! He's been singing that infernal song all day!" Natasha winced sympathetically. A loud crash resonated off screen and the awful clang of broken piano tiles bounced around. Pepper sighed and reached for her rather generous glass of brandy.

"Pepperrrr!" She closed her eyes and grit her teeth at his whining before taking a deep breath.

"COMING." She set her glass down and gave them a tight smile. "I have to go but merry Christmas if I don't see you before."

"Bye Pepper, merry Christmas and give Tony our best." Natasha waved goodbye before ending the call.

She slid her phone back into her pocket and cuddled up to Bucky. He wrapped an arm around her and readjusted the blanket so that it covered both of them comfortably before resuming the film in front of them. The Holiday? He wasn't quite sure.

The film had ended a long time ago and now they were watching the last of the credits roll. An empty bowl that once held popcorn was left on the coffee table and Natasha was nodding off against Bucky's shoulder. He gently nudged her awake and she gazed around blearily. The tiredness in her eyes soon vanished once she saw the time.

"I have to go." She rose and made for the door but he wrapped his arms around her waist and tugged her back onto the couch.

"No you don't."

"Yes I really do." She got back up again. He blocked her way to the door.

"It's so cold outside, what if you catch hypothermia?" She rose an eyebrow.

"Really? That's your best argument?" He shrugged and she made to grab her coat when he snatched it away and dangled it in the air.

"Look how late it is, there's going to be no cabs left."

"That would've worked better were we not living in New York."

"Please doll, stay with me."

"What about Steve?"

"He's with Sam and the others at the facility." He drew her in closer in an embrace, still dangling her coat behind him. "It's just you and me."

"James,"

"Please Talia?" She looked at his helpless puppy dog expression and felt her resolve crumbling.

"Fine, but don't you ever pull a stunt like this again, understood? He grinned.

"Yes ma'am." She rolled her eyes and chuckled slightly as he saluted.

As he hung her coat back on the hook she put another bag of popcorn in to cook and stared outside. Apartments glowed with warm light and decorations. It was Christmas Eve and everything was quieter than usual. She felt James's presence behind her and leaned back against his chest. He propped his chin on top of her head and pulled her closer to him. His arms encircled her waist, one hot one cold. The digital numbers glowing beneath the boiler switched to 00:00. "Merry Christmas James."

"Merry Christmas doll." He leant over and kissed her cheek. She smiled as they watched the soft fall of snow blanket the city.

A/N I know it's short but I'm writing this whilst hiding from relatives so.... Anyway Merry Christmas everyone or whatever you celebrate hope you have a great time. :)