some place safe

april 15th

april 15th

the constant battle that celine fought within her very own mind became a loss as she wrapped her arm in a brace and met her muddy, brown eyes completely glossed over from the sadness that overtook her once again surrounded in a violent purple.

three months. three months was all it took.

she had made it three months without being decorated in the painful reminders of nicholas' wrath. it was too good to be true, and celine was naive for thinking otherwise. she could breathe because he had gone for the day and wouldn't be back until later. his temporary absence was freedom in itself.

her head pounded, and her scalp was sensitive from the tugging he did on her hair. she whimpered and shook in fear as he unleashed every frustration out on her, but all that her reaction did was cause him further irritation.

suddenly, she found it difficult to breathe and felt herself crumble to the floor of her bathroom where she freed herself of inner pain. however, she would never be without pain because it would always linger and grow her into a better person.

once her trembling came to a halt and her eyes had expelled the tears she had held back, she ignored the desire to cover up the evidence on her face with makeup because after all of this time, she had given up.

it was raining, and celine loved the rain. the sky was grey, light hardly shining down and instead being replaced with light fog. she only wore a hood over her head and stepped on saturated leaves with her drenched shoes, and she felt lighter than ever.

she felt her lungs expand with the crisp air while an ache spread throughout her torso from the soreness of a fresh bruise coming along. it was cathartic for her to leave the house and feel the rain pour down on her washing away every excuse she told herself to defend nicholas.

it was done.

as the excess water drained down the streets along the curb, so did the excuses that nicholas would offer up because it was done.

celine had been saving up the change she received when she would take trips to the market for the last month. she hid it in one of her shoes and would count it nearly everyday in hopes that it would grow into a larger sum overnight. with that money, celine would leave to a women's shelter in a town hours away. she was done.

she approached the edge of the cliff that had become a familiar space for her over the last few years, and she stared at the river below her as the droplets pelted the surface of the moving water.