Prologue

Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago this land, now dry and gloomy where life is scarce, was green and good. Until the Crystal cracked. A single piece was lost. A shard of the Crystal. Then strife began. And two new races appeared.

The cruel Skeksis.

The gentle Mystics.

Herein the castle of the Crystal, the Skeksis took control. Their hatred and cruelty made the castlein a blackish color, and the architecture became pointed and repulsive. Now the Skeksis gather in the sacred chamber where the crystal hangs above a shaft of air and fire. The Skeksis with their hard and twisted bodies, their harsh and twisted wills. For a thousand years they have ruled. Yet now there are only ten. A dying race ruled by a dying emperor imprisoned within themselves in a dying land.

Today once more they gather at the Crystal as the firstSun climbs to its peak. For this is the way of the Skeksis. As they ravaged the land, so to they learned to draw new life from the Sun. Today once more they will replenish themselves. Cheat death again.

Through the power of their source, their treasure,

their fate,

the DarkCrystal.   

But today, the sun ceremony gives no comfort. An emperor lies dying. Today, a new emperor must seize the throne.The sun ray hits the Crystal, and divided himself in ten other rays. Each ray, now black as the baleful Crystal, come right in the Skeksis' morbid eyes. No aspect changes, they only resist against the destiny. Unsightly they are, nonetheless, they're alive. The sun goes away,the rays disappears, as the Skeksis have known for a thousand years now.

A thousand years ago, the crystal cracked. Here, far from the castle, in red clay hills with rocky tops, the race of Mystics came to live in a dream of peace. Their ways were the gentle ways of natural wizards. Yet now there are only ten. A dying race, numbly rehearsing the ancient ways in a blur of forgetfulness. But today,the ritual gives no comfort. Today, the wisest of the Mystics lies dying. Today, they summon the one who must save them.

One of the Mystics, drawing a strange symbole with sand, stopped himself and raises his head. He let out a husky moan, barely opening his flat jaw, closing his tiny eyes. His long tail, same as the dinosaur tails, is trailing behind his two legs, themselves under four gigantic arms, whose only hands with four long fingers are visible under all these brown clothes. Hearing the call, all the Mystics stopped their activities one by one, and followed the melody, also moaning, head held high.