Chapter 3: Trail By Stone

All the Skeksis were in the main hall, and wondering who was going the be the new Emperor. Obviously, everyone wanted to take the place of Emperor. And some decided to play the stooge's game against the new candidate, often the weakest of the Skeksis.

"Mmh... The Emperor is dead.."

"Which one of us will be the new Emperor ?"

"Oh, my lord Chamberlain, time to choose an Emperor!" Chamberlain turned back to see the Ornemanist Skekekt, a womanish and arrogant Skeksis. A glimmer of mischief gleamed in Chamberlain's eyes. "It should be me !" he said with his high pitched voice. Skekung, the Garthim's Master, turned back after these words, and couldn't hold his rage. "No... Not him! I must rule!" Another Skeksis approached Chamberlain "You should be the emperor, brother !" He said

"There's going to be a fight !..." whispered the Ornemanist to the Scientist's ear, his voice filled with a macabre excitement. "It's time to make my move..." "ME ! It's me, the Emperor.."said Skeksil, moaning like he usually does. "This place is mine.." growled the Garthim's Master, facing the throne just like Chamberlain. "We're all with you..." said the Ornemanist, looking at Skeksil who was walking to the throne. In Chamberlain's eyes, everyone could read the power, the gain, and before he could notice it himself, his hand was now on the scepter. Skekzok, the Ritual's Master, recognizable by his big red collar and his golden dress, stopped the Chamberlain in his utopia.

"Chamberlain ! This power is not for you, stop !" Skekzok warned but... "Get back, Spithead!" Chamberlain spat, turning back to Skekzok. He turned back again and grabbed the scepter, admiring it with a mocking smile. The dark and powerful voice of Skekung could be heard behind them. He took Skeksil by the arm to turn him. He dropped the scepter on the red throne, and growled when he saw him. Just like the usual, but this time the anger and the need of power made in his eyes a murderous madness that none of the Skeksis could satisfy. Skekung pointed him with his finger after these long grunts. "I challenge!" he yelled.  The Chamberlan moved back, unworthy, before bending over him, eyes half closed and a big sadistic smirk, just like does the vultures at the sight of new prey. "Trial by Stone..." he said before giggling.

The Trial by Stone was an old ritual in the Skeksis culture, which consist to give two big swords, perfectly sharpened given to two Skeksis. The two challengers had to be facing each other, and a big stone was planted in front of them. The goal was to hit this rock as hard as they could, and after a certain time, the loser had to abandon, or was too weak to continue. But instead of losing his self-control, Skekung stood up, and raised fists "TRAIL BY STONE!" yelling in the room. Another Skeksis, the Slave's Master, called his minions, repeating the words, followed by a hubbub of excited Skeksis who didn't see a fight for centuries.

The adrenaline had risen, like the first time the duel had taken place in the castle. The slaves, tiny beings with round heads and rare white hair, like their eyes were empty of any remanence of their souls. They were advancing towards the two Skeksis. Their gait was slow, and they nodded, as if they were under hypnosis. The Slave's Master pushed them to accelerate their steps, under the agitation of the other Skeksis.