Chapter 1: The Death of Her Master

In the Valley of the Mystics there lives a Krisling, Vera. The Skeksis killed her family and destroyed her clan. Only Vera survived, to be raised by the wisest of the Mystics. But there is a prophecy. A thousand years have passed, and now, once more, the world must undergo a time of testing. Now it must be healed, or pass forever into the rule of Evil. At this time, Vera is the chosen one. Today, Vera's song gives no comfort. For today, her Master lies dying. And a journey must begin. The journey of Vera.

"Alas, my love, you do me wrong,"
To cast me off discourteously."
For I have loved you well and long,"
Delighting in your company."

"Greensleeves was all my joy"
Greensleeves was my delight,"
Greensleeves was my heart of gold,"
And who but my lady greensleeves."

"Your vows you've broken, like my heart,"
Oh, why did you so enrapture me?"
Now I remain in a world apart"
But my heart remains in captivity."

"I have been ready at your hand,"
To grant whatever you would crave,"
I have both wagered life and land,"
Your love and good-will for to have."

"If you intend thus to disdain,"
It does the more enrapture me,"
And even so, I still remain"
A lover in captivity."

"My men were clothed all in green,"
And they did ever wait on thee;"
All this was gallant to be seen,"
And yet thou wouldst not love me."

"Thou couldst desire no earthly thing,"
but still thou hadst it readily."
Thy music still to play and sing;"
And yet thou wouldst not love me."

"Well, I will pray to God on high,"
that thou my constancy mayst see,"
And that yet once before I die,"
Thou wilt vouchsafe to love me."

"Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell, adieu,"
To God I pray to prosper thee,"
For I am still thy lover true,"
Come once again and love me"

Vera's ears goes down by hearing the storm roaring nearby. She knows that the end of her Master is approaching. She has to be next to him for one last time. So the Krisling got out of the water and ran to put her boots on, and left the Valley, the cascade of fresh water and the green grass filled with tiny creatures, to join her dying Master.

Getting in her Master's room as fast as she could passing all the mystics who towards the girl solemnly, Vera ran towards the body, laying down on a big rock, supposed to be a bed.

"Master? You should be resting." Vera said as she grabbed a nearby ragged towel to wipe the sweat off her masters forehead."When the three suns... meet..." sighed the wise Mystic with a heavy and calm voice. "Master, what's wrong?" Vera asked with a quiver in her voice. "You are in danger, Krisling.... and I must leave you." The Mystic said with a sad tone in his heavy voice. "Danger? What do you mean Master?" Vera asked but her voice was filled with anxiety, and the Mystics holds her hand slowly. Vera holds it back, staring at him with her emerald eyes filled with sadness.

"Master...no.- I"

"I have told you of the Skeksis..." The wise Mystic cut Vera off not wanting the child he loves so dearly to cry. "The Skeksis killed my mother and father..." Vera said quietly. "The story runs deeper than you know... And you are part of it."  Vera took a time, frowning a little bit. " I don't understand." She said clearly in confusion towards her Master's words. "The Skeksis will vow to destroy you explain the Mystics, suffering. For the prophecy says you must find the Shard. The crystal Shard..." the Master said as the bowl over water that was near him suddenly morphed into a clear crystal shard.

"The Crystal Shard?" Vera said as she pushed some of her fiery red hair behind her shard ear. "To save our world, Krisling... You must find the Shard...and purify it...before the three Suns meet... If not, Skeksis rule forever..." The Mystic said through his gasp of air. "Where is it? Where is the Shard? And how am I suppose to purify the shard?" Vera asked desperately "Aughra holds the Shard... Follow the greater Sun for a day, to the home of Aughra... She knows all the secrets..." The Mystic said as the shard morphed again into a large structure on the side of a cliff. "Aughra?... Follow the greater sun?... But, Master, I'm only a Krisling...I don't even know how to purify water how can I-"

"I should have told you these things long ago... Now it is up to you. Remember me, Vera...you are something very special. We may meet in another life...but not again in this one..." the wisest Mystic as his breathing became more shallow. "Master! Don't leave me..." Vera said as tears started to roll down her rosey red cheeks. "I love you...I'll always be with you...we all have a part and yours is about to begin...Remember this Vera never stop learning...because life never stops teaching." The Mystic said quietly as he finally lays down his head on the rock and closed his eyes.

While Vera, lost, was trying to understand his last words. The Krisling never left the Valley, and only lived by the peaceful Mystic's life. And now, she get wind of that she the subject of a quest in order to save the world? This goal was too big, and she was too tiny. She wasn't even sure if there were living Krislings left in the world, because of the Skeksis, but she had to know. She had to try, at least to honor the Master who raised her when she was all alone.