Chapter 2: The End of a Cruel Emperor and the Beginning of a Quest

{Castle of the Crystal}
In the Castle of the Crystal, the Skeksis named Skekung, Garthim's Master, gigantic black soldiers with many legs and indestructible shell, is walking to the Emperor's room. But in the dark corridors filled with critters eating garbage, he meet Skeksil, the Chamberlain. They hate each other, to be completely honest. Skekung, with his gross and violent temperament, grunt nastily while facing the Chamberlain as he was ready to fight him. The Chamberlain, curved and vicious, with a hypocrite smile and mocking moans.

Similar to two vultures with nasty looks, they share a last eye contact before walking to the same room. Hearing a last complaint from Skeksil, Skekung couldn't hand it anymore "I hate your whimper !" he shouts.  No time for a battle they came in the room. The bed is huge, but hidden by all the Skeksis around it. They're all surrounding the dying Emperor, Skekso, the most vilest and stingy of the Skeksis. Skekung goes to the foot of the bed, while Skeksil is at the left of the Emperor, staring at the scepter. Skektek, the scientist, dressed of yellow and green, with his crooked beak covered with multiples pairs of different tiny glasses, greeted the Chamberlain with a reverence "He's not dead yet, my Lord Chamberlain !" whispered the scientist, smirking and giggling.

Skeksil whined. "Kneel!" Ordered Skekung, screaming. "Bow!"   They all bowed, except Skeksil. Eyes staring at the scepter, the temptation encumbered him as his hand approached it. "MINE !" Screamed the Emperor, opening big eyes, his hand firmly holding the scepter. "It...is...mine... !" All the Skeksis stepped back, surprised that Skekso's greed was so strong that it could give him new energy. But his strength was disappearing little by little. "Stay away ! I am.... I.... I...am... still... in... Power... I..." A painful scream filled the room, coming from the Emperor, before his head fell on the pillow behind him. His eyes were feelingless, his body soulless, even if after all, the Skeksis were devoid of all of this.  After a long sigh, the Emperor's skin started to dry, until it started to crumble little by little under the disgusted looks of the Skeksis. All of his body was now ash, until we could only see the shirt, with a frilled collar, and his slack, just like the nobles ones. In a royal bed with accessible power for everyone.

{Valley of the Mystics}

Vera was facing her Master, she reluctantly let his hand fall slowly along his body. He had kept a tender and sweet smile, eyes closed, accepting his own death. "O Master, I'll go where you send me, though I barely understand what to do." Vera thought while the Mystic's body was disappearing little by little, leaving behind his brown clothes, covered with symbolic writings. Later, the Mystics came to take all the clothes, and precious objects owned before by the dead Mystics. Regrouped in the middle of the hill, surrounding the symbole in the sand were all the objects and clothes were put, they raised their arms and looked down, sign of recognition. "Dear friend, take care of you. Receive your personal effects, receive them serenely. We send Vera, watch over her in her dangerous quest." they said in chorus, almost singing with their peaceful voice. Vera, watching them from the hill's peak, was worrying. Was she scared? Yes. But she had to. She had to go beyond this hill.

Beyond the Valley.

She turns back, and started to walk along the rocks, without looking behind her. As she remembered all the days she spent with her Master and his last dying words to her.