FOUR ━ GLORIOUSLY BURNT

chapter four

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T know

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T know. God, Avery, I'm sorry, I could have done something. I was so worried about Stiles that I didn't even second guess the fact you suddenly decided to go on that trip with your parents." Scott told her while they sat in Scott's kitchen, Kira, his girlfriend, beside him.

It was early the next morning, and the girl was showered, well fed, and dressed in a new set of clothes. Her straight hair was brushed and flowed down both sides of her face, hiding her small ears and partially her cheeks. A little bit of make up was even applied to hide the dark circles under her gray eyes and make some blemishes disappear. If you were to look at her, you would think everything was normal and she didn't have the most conflicting day of her life. 

"I don't blame you, Scott. You couldn't have known. It could have been worse, at least I'm here now." She reassured him, because she wasn't angry or disappointed with anyone, well except... him.

"I'm glad you're okay, Ave. Really. But I'm still confused why he allowed you to escape." Kira spoke up, voicing her thoughts.

"I don't know. Honestly, I can't explain any logic to what happen when he took me."

Avery choose to leave out some details of their time together for understandable reasons. They would only be more perplexed if she told them about how he took her home, how he gave her his shirt to keep warm, how he acted so... differently after he hurt her. They think Void just let her flee and she found her way home on her own. The rest of the truth felt too unreal to even think about, let alone say, so she decided to keep certain details to herself, the ones that wouldn't hurt to keep a secret.

Even now, as the human sat across from a concerned Scott and Kira, she recalled the only reminders that existed of their night together. Like the gray striped sweatshirt that is now folded up neatly on a chair in her room, and the wound scarring her arm that Melissa, Scott's mother, re-bandaged herself recently to make sure it wouldn't get infected. He was inside of Stiles' head, and now it seemed as if he were in hers too.

"You should stay here tonight. Or at Kira's. I don't want you to be alone in that house." The alpha of their pack suggested, not wanting there to be anymore trouble between the nogitsune and her. "It's clearly not safe."

"Scott, it's alright. I don't think he'll show up spontaneously to my home again. Besides, he's been MIA since the hospital, right? He's probably busy planning something. That's what we should be worried about."

Kira leaned her petite body over the table to place her small hand over Avery's intertwined ones. "We are, but we're worried about you too."

"That's sweet, but I'm okay. I'm fine. Stiles isn't." The girl reminded them.

Scott bows his head down at the mention of his best friend, because something was wrong with him all this time and once again he was too clueless to figure it out until it was too late. To be honest they all felt like that; Avery, Derek, Kira, Issac, Allison, Lydia — every single one of them. They wanted Stiles safe and for this whole mess to be over with.