SIX ━ THE BURNING AFTERMATH

chapter six

IT WAS ADMITTEDLY DIFFICULT for her to focus on Mr

IT WAS ADMITTEDLY DIFFICULT for her to focus on Mr. Yukimura's voice as he droned on and on about an important part of history. It was the middle of the school day, one everyone couldn't wait to get over with, which definitely included the preoccupied brunette as she attempted to follow what the man was saying. Her pen scraped across the lined paper of her notebook, putting down bullet points with significant information.

The warmth of the California sun beaming through the window she was sitting by could be felt on her skin slightly. The comfortable temperature differed from the chilly atmosphere it changed into during the nighttime. Of course it never got cold enough to snow, but the winters here were freezing once the moon and stars replaced the sun and its bright blue sky. She shivered involuntarily just thinking about the cold's influence, and how it reminded her of the temperature of his hands as they pressed against her burning skin.

Avery shook her head a little, trying not to sink back into the dark and terrifyingly truthful hole that was last night's memories. She couldn't believe herself. She couldn't understand what had possessed her to risk everything just to be temptingly close to him. Her darkest desires overpowered her until she was left hanging onto his every move, forgetting any sort of common sense. It scared her that he could make her lose control that easily.

Scott helped her forget about it for a little bit, his cheerful presence and lame jokes he provided making them both feel better about the difficult situation that had yet to be handled. He spent the night, sleeping just down the hall in the vacant room that belonged to her brother before he moved. In the middle of the night, when Avery was still struggling with falling asleep, she was so close to padding all the way to Scott's sleeping form and shaking him awake. She wanted to tell him what happened. She wanted to get rid of the weight suffocating her because of this sinful secret. But her body never moved, the words were never whispered shakily, and she was left alone with the guilt.

Maybe that made her a coward or even more of a horrible friend, but she was set on making sure nothing like that ever happened again. Luckily she couldn't think of anything about the encounter that could help them figure out where he was hiding out at. Or even help Stiles regain control over his body — oh Stiles. She cringed in embarrassment that he may remember the things Void did to her when all of this was over. Avery hoped for their surprisedly uncomplicated friendship that he wouldn't.

An exhausted sigh was heaved out of her small body before she got out her phone from her bag, thankful she was in the back next to Kira so she wouldn't be caught as easily. The girl had been doing this every five minutes to check the time, impatient for this class to get over. Only instead of being attentive of the white numbers on her home screen, she was more concerned about the notification that allowed her to see she had a message — from Stiles' phone.

stiles
You look bored.

Her lips parted after reading the text, gray eyes scanning the room with paranoia. Was he watching her? If so, where? She even looked out the window where there was the lovely view of the parking lot, expecting him to be standing there with a prideful smirk on his face. She pictured his disheveled, brown hair and the purple bags adorning his amber eyes. Of course he wasn't, and she was left gazing down at the screen with confusion and irritation.