ELEVEN ━ IGNITED

chapter eleven

SHE LET HIM TAKE HER home

SHE LET HIM TAKE HER home. She let him help her get up and guide her towards Stiles' Jeep he had acquired yet again. The brunette didn't fight him, didn't say much either, leaning on him until she was situated in the front seat.

When he slid into the driver's seat, ignoring the seat belt ready to be fastened beside him, Void glanced over to find her staring straight forward blankly, deep in thought. He couldn't remember the last time he hadn't wished for someone to be silent. Just looking at her made him feel uneasy, wondering what he could do to make things better for her.

That was the main reason he hesitantly reached for her shaky hands with his free one, the other grasping the wheel as he turned the vehicle onto the street. Her gaze snapped to where his large hand rested on top of her smaller pair, the warmth cascading against her skin in a comforting manner. Her lips stopped trembling, and she blinked away the remainder of the tears.

"Void?"

"Yes?"

"Why are you being nice to me?"

He felt her eyes on him as his eyebrows rose at the unexpected question. "I can't be nice to you?"

"No," she whispered automatically, body shifting more in his direction, "You're a dick."

He smiled at her confession, absentmindedly moving her hands apart with his own so he could fully intertwine his fingers with one of her hands. She watched him, not stopping the heartwarming action. He was being different. She expected him to go back to his arrogant and cold self quickly, but so far the fox was being remotely decent.

"Yeah, comes with job. You don't live a thousand years by being soft."

"Were you born a nogitsune?" She continued to pry, curious about him now more than ever. He had always been an enigma, and now seemed like the time where he may open up a little.

"No," he shook his head, tired eyes still focused on the road, "I stole the power from someone else."

"How?"

"I killed them."

She swallowed hard; she didn't know why she was expecting a different answer. "So if someone kills you, they get your power?"

"It's not as simple as that. It's more about the way I killed him and the timing and... it's just more complex."

"But you did it. Because you wanted those powers, didn't you? For yourself?" Avery replied, trying to make sense of him.

"Well, when you're a young man with no family and everyone around you is dying before 30, you look for a way out. Any way you can find. No matter what the cost." Void explained, feeling the light squeeze the girl gave his hand still interlocked with hers.