chapter one

michael/calum are 17 and highschoolers

ashton/luke/mali are 25 and assistant teachers

-

Calum didn't mean to see him after trying so hard to avoid being in his passing way, which was always successful. He didn't mean to get choked up, heart clogging his throat as the embarrassment of his past confession bubbled in his head like a pot overflowing with boiled water. He was overwhelmed knowing that he was right in front of him in all his... well, him.

Usually, he got out of class just fine without having to see him, courtesy of him liking to admire the backs of everyones' heads. Normally, he could pick up the homework on the desk and leave without bumping into him like his many nightmares and day-mares pictured. Not this time. Not when the teacher decided to stand them together like he was the game master and they were his pawns.

But there he was; standing at nearly the same height as the teacher beside him, clad in black leather because school cardigans were just too ugly to be seen on his body, and his hair some crazy color because fuck school rules right, was the spitfire, the enigma, the discipline case — no, the basket case people called him, Michael Clifford. Known for talking with his fists more than his mouth, his inability to care for anything or anyone but himself and his best friend, and his infamous attendance that teetered the edge of court-worthy, he was the last person he thought he'd want to get involved with.

Why was his stomach so fucking traitorous?

He took a deep, shaky breath and then pulled his backpack over his shoulder before looking down at the table. If he kept staring at the back of Michael's figure he'd never be able to confront him, not when his ass looked that good in his plaid pants. He wanted to touch, but he couldn't. He had to leave.

His gaze was glued to the floor as he began walking, and as he made it past the first dew rows of desks he felt his shoulder bump someone else. He winced, eyes wide as he looked up. As if the universe was punishing him, he came in contact with familiar green eyes, ones he daydreamed about almost every day. A pretty emerald that was almost entirely hidden behind the length of his blond fringe. It looked soft, and he remembers when he tried punching him the strands that did brush his hand were soft.

"I hope you two have learned from your last altercation how to behave." Mr. Knight stated and Calum felt a blush rise on his cheeks at the memory. "I believe the two of you... academically, can help one another."

"Him?" Michael pointed at him like he was disgusted and Calum felt his stomach turn. "Okay."

"I expect a lot from you, Mr. Hood. You're my best student, but you fail where Mr. Clifford strives. I'm sure we all will learn a lot from this." He finalized and Calum took a deep breath.

"We just... tutor each other?" He asked dumbly. Even Michael was surprised at his confusion.

"It's about the project." The teacher reminded him and Calum's eyes widened as he vaguely recalled the choruses groans and moans of distaste.

Project?

"While you are amazing with your books and studies, you fail to publicly present yourself through words. You can write from your head, but from your heart? I doubt it uses words like melancholy and blithe." He mused and Calum couldn't disagree.

His heart doesn't say anything, it just makes weird jumping motions when he sees Michael and hurts when he sees him laughing with someone he could never be. His heart actually comprehending and creating words for how it breaks and builds for someone it shouldn't? When pigs fly.