Chapter 5 - Keeping Promises

Keeping Promises

 "I hate it when people fight." She commented, seeing the couple that was seated two rows ahead of us. They were constantly bickering in hush voices. It was sad, true, but equally pathetic. 

I never understood why people argue or fight in hush voices just because they don't want to have a bad reputation among others. Yet why do they fail to see, how their words are hurting the person, they arguing with? Us, humans have a strange way of prioritizing everything. We prioritize events, dates, clothes, even people but not our words, our thoughts, our emotions, and others' feelings.

We want a flawless reputation with a flawed personality.

"We won't ever fight," I said without thinking how it would sound, but I knew it seemed wrong as soon as I said it.

I acted as if nothing happened, looking ahead without glancing at her, but when Jeena did not say anything. I peeped over at her and saw her already studying the features of my face. Giving an awkward smile, I stuffed my mouth with the popcorn I had in my hand.

I had looked away again, but I could still feel her eyes, and although my eyes were fixed over the i-max screen where Vision has picked up Thor's hammer to prove a point that he was pure, I could still feel her not moving an inch, confirming that she was staring at me.

Breathing a sigh, I tried to play cool.

"What?" I asked, glancing over at her again, ignoring the awkwardness.

"You said..." she trailed off.

"Yeah? I just said we won't ever fight. I don't fight with my friends." She kept her eyes at me but nodding her head in understanding, she looked back over at the screen, and this time I couldn't take my eyes off her.

She was beautiful, but that was not the only thing that I liked about her. I prized how her eyes narrow on the stuff she is suspicious of. I cherished how she acts delicately, though she is strong, to make people give in to her wishes. I like her raw emotions, which don't make sense, yet she never fits them to other people's preferences. With Jeena, it's pretty much impossible to be sad. She was considerate by nature. She wasn't pushy either plus she was smart.

'I REALLY LIKE HER!' I texted Pamir, in capital letters, when I couldn't take it. I have to tell someone, or I will blurt it out to her.

'She is my wife a**h***!' Came a reply. I rolled my eyes over his jealousy.

'I am talking about Jeena.' I replied and looked back up at the screen again but quickly felt my phone vibrate.

'For real? Just like?' I gulped, reading the text.

I felt my heart drop in my stomach. I was scared. I like Jeena too much, that is true, but confessing it, that was harder.

'I think it's more but how much more? I am not sure.' I replied and stared at the screen as three dots blinked from his side. I am not sure how would he react.

"Are you not watching?" I heard her voice, and in an instant, I pressed the side button and switched off my phone.

"No, I am." I quickly said, but she gazed at me as if there was something wrong with me.

"You don't seem okay. Are you feeling all right?" No, I was sweating like a hairy animal right now. I was terrified of what if she found out. It was as if someone spotted you while you were trying to steal something.

"I am fine. It's just I have seen it already." There was an expression of remorse on her face. I could see it, somewhat due to the little light that we had from the big screen in front of us.