Chapter 51: Poseidon and Percy (Part Two)

*** Real World *** 

Percy was lying in his bed, relaxing from a normal day of training at Camp Half-Blood, when he heard a flash.

He turned toward the noise, only to be blinded by a bright light. When his eyes adjusted, a man was standing in front of him. He had jet black and sea green eyes that matched his toga. In his hand was his trident.

Poseidon, Percy thought. He immediately became angry. Poseidon noticed this and looked down at Percy.

"Percy," he started, "I know that your mad. I just want to talk."

"About what?" he asked, with a tone of anger in his voice.

"About what you had said on Facebook," Poseidon said. "And I wanted to tell you that... you were right." Percy raised an eyebrow.

"I did make a mistake. I had brought you into the world, knowing I had broken my promise. To tell you the truth, I had wanted to kill you once I found out your mother was pregnant-"

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" Percy snapped.

"Just listen, please. But then I thought of how long it was since I had a child. My other son, Triton, had grown up so fast and I had forgotten how it was like to have a kid. So I let you live. When you were born and I had visited you. I had already felt proud. I knew from the start you would do great things when you were older. I had wanted so much to stay and take care of you..." He looked down at Percy, who was staring at him, waiting for him to continue.

Poseidon sighed. "But I couldn't. I knew if I stayed, Zeus would find out about you. He would know I broke the oath and kill you himself. I loved you so much that I couldn't let him do that. So I left, unfortunately leaving you with your mother to take care of you alone.

"I couldn't help but feel sorry for you. Having to grow up without a father. But through out your whole life, I was watching you. and when I was busy I had Nereids watch you and tell me how you were doing. They told me good things, so I didn't know about your step father was-"

"Don't say it out loud," Percy blurted. Poseidon looked into his eyes, they were becoming wet.

"Listen Percy, if I had known that man was doing those horrible things to you, I would've came sooner, and blasted him straight to Tartarus." Percy smiled a bit at the comment.

"The first day I met you, like actually got to talk to you, I had wished you were never born because life as a demigod is hard, especially for children of the Big Three. More monsters would come after them, people would depend on them most when there is a situation. I'm sorry you took what I said the wrong way." Percy had looked down, so he wasn't sure if he was still listening or not.

"But I want you to know that I do care for you. You are my only demigod son, and that counts on the Roman side too. In fact, I don't just care for you Percy. I love you, more than anything in the whole world. If anything happened to you, you'd be the death of me."

"Is that what you meant in the letter, "You'll be the death me"?" Percy asked, his voice cracking. His head was still down. 

"Yes Percy, sorry I wasn't clear on what I said on the letter." 

"But you're immortal," Percy said.

"I know," Poseidon said. He tried to lift up Percy's head so he could see his face, but he resisted. His cheek felt wet, and Poseidon realized that Percy didn't want to see him crying. So instead, he pulled his son into a hug, wrapping him in his huge strong arms.

Percy cried into his chest, shaking every time he took a breath. Poseidon rubbed his hand on his back, comforting him.

Poseidon kissed the top of his forehead. "I love you Percy, please don't ever forget that."