Chapter 12

By the time someone had found us, my voice was scratchy from the sobbing and my makeup was dried in streaks down my face. A bang came from the front door and several footsteps sounded throughout the house.

"Kasey Gordon?" They called. The police, the police was here.

"In here," I cried as I stared at my fiancé's face. Eyes still open, the last thing he ever saw was me.

A figured leaned down and I studied the face. "Steve." I sobbed. It wasn't just the police, it was Five-O.

"Is she in here? I need to see her." I heard Malia's voice at the front door. The rest of Five-O had congregated into the living room, staring at the two dead bodies and hysterical woman. Chin Ho heard her voice and raced to Malia.

"No, Malia. It's bad. Please stay here until we get her out." Steve and another man had been working on my restrains. With each motion I could feel the rope rub against my wrists causing the burns to get worse.

"If she's in there then I'm going to see her. She needs me." She stated. I heard two set of footsteps against the wood stop in the entrance of the living room. Malia gasped taking in the scene.

I was released from the ropes and immediately went to Will. I held his face in my hands and tried to look for any signs that this wasn't real. That he wasn't dead. "Please don't leave me, William. You're my best friend." I whispered.

Soft hands grabbed my arms and pulled my gaze. I stared at Malia, hoping, praying she could do something. "I'm sorry." She choked out. "He's gone."

Those words. He's gone. It was real. This was all real. I shook my head in disbelief. "No, no I don't believe you. He can't be gone! Oh my god. This is all my fault." I sobbed as Malia pulled me in for a hug. I held on to her. It felt like my life depended on it.

"Come on. We need to go outside." She said. On the way out, she grabbed a towel and wrapped it around me after feeling how wet my clothes were and watching me shiver. We walked to the front door where my door was off the hinges.

"Who-uh, who broke my front door." I said trying to make light of the situation. She let out a small laugh and smiled.

"That would be Steve. He has quite a kick." She replied.

"Oh." Is all I said. Beyond the front door we're flashing blue and red lights in the pitch black darkness. Malia led me to one of the ambulance to have me checked for injuries.

It felt all too familiar; sitting on the back of the ambulance, the EMT preforming the same exam, and feeling the same helpless feeling. I half expected William to push his way past the police coming to my aid. But he was dead.

Malia held my hand and sat next to me silently while I collected my thoughts. "How'd you know to come find us?" I asked. For some reason I thought it would be days before someone even thought to come looking.

"The truck. I called you and Will to see if you guys made it home okay but neither of you picked up. I had this dreading feeling in the pit of my stomach and I knew we needed to come find you." She explained. "When we were driving we saw your truck sitting in the middle of the road with the passenger door wide open and both phones in them." I only now noticed that William's truck was absent from the driveway. The empty parking space made my stomach flip at the thought of coming home to it and Will waiting on the couch for me. "I knew something was wrong, Kasey. I'm so so sorry we didn't come in time. Then we heard that one of your neighbors called in saying that there were gunshots coming from your house. We tried to come as fast as we could but we were too late. And now William's gone." She sobbed. Her hand flew to mouth as she silently cried into it.

Tears dripped down my cheeks and in that moment, I realized I wouldn't be the only one mourning his death. He had an impact on every person he came in contact with especially Malia. She probably saw him more throughout the day than I did.

"Thank you, Malia. For everything. If it wasn't for you, who knows who long we'd be there. You had a special place in William's heart. I'm sorry we pulled you away from the wedding. God, why'd this even have to happen." I cried.

The EMT had given me the okay and Malia and I continued to sit in silence as people bustled around out. A large van had arrived with the words Medical Examiner displayed on the sides. Out jumped a familiar Asian who noticed me and wave. "Max." I muttered.

"What?" Malia asked.

I pointed to the man who was now getting equipment out of the back of the van. "That's Max. I met him at a newspaper stand."

"Oh." She stated. She jumped up as a Chin exited my house and began walking towards us. She ran at him and engulfed him into a hug. Underneath his bullet proof vest, I could see he was still dressed in his clothes from the wedding while Malia had changed into a t-shirt and jeans. They briefly discussed something and then walked back to where I was sitting.

"Hi Chin." I said. "Thank you for coming. I know it's the worst night to have to be pulled away for work." He shook his head and pulled me in for a hug.

"Non sense. We're just glad you're okay. However, we need to head back to headquarters and talk about what happened. Malia and I are going to drive you while the others finish up here but they should be coming soon." I nodded and stood up feeling a little wobbly from the hours of being tied down.

"Can I just run in and get a change of clothes?" I asked. I definitely did not want to be in this dress any longer. Maybe I'll burn it when this is all over.

Malia and Chin looked at each other and then back at me. "I don't really think that's the best idea, Kasey. We'll get you a change of clothings when we get to headquarters." Malia stated. She had a hand on my back and guided me to the car.

"Oh okay." I stated following them. I took one last look at the house I was suppose to spend the rest of my life in. The rest of my life with my best friend. I shuttered at the thought of having to live in it alone and got in the car, hoping we could drive away from what happened tonight.