HOLIDAY SPECIAL

HOMECOMING
A CHRISTMAS AU

Her heart pounded rapidly in her chest

Her heart pounded rapidly in her chest. It had been two months since she last saw him. Almost one month since she found out.

And today was the day he was coming home.

Everyone was. The war was over upon the Axis power's surrender in May, and he would return home a month later.

It was warm in June, even with dusk approaching. The streets were full of electricity and people. Everyone emanated excitement for their families were returning home. American flags decorated the streets, and Gideon sat on an open bench outside of her favorite café, waiting. He wrote to her the week before of when and where to meet him, and her heart has not stopped skipping beats since.

Over a year went by since she fell in love with him, and he still could make her heart race just upon thinking of him.

She arrived early enough to get herself a sandwich, but her nerves were running too high to finish it.

So many couples and families passed by her, hand in hand. As more time went by, she began to grow worried, anxious that he wouldn't make it.

       But he came into her view just in time.

       Gideon bound toward him, curled brown hair and her loose blue skirt flowing behind her

He barely had the chance to see her before she collided into him. Their arms wrapped around each other all the same.

"Hey doll," Bucky laughed into her hair, holding her tight.

"Hi handsome," she grinned, her cheek feeling the freshly shaved skin of his. Parting ever so slightly to peer up at him, she pressed her lips to his without hesitation. His laughs filled her mouth, and she continued to laugh as well and to kiss him over and over again. She never wanted to stop. He smelled of his cologne and saltwater from the ferry. Everything that she missed.