A Christmas 'Crisis': Part 3

A Christmas Crisis - Part 3

“If this isn’t totally awkward.” Anika mumbled and looked at Shivaay.

They pulled away from each other making everyone groan. “Well, sorry to be a spoil sport but we are not exactly in a position to kiss.”

“But you are exactly in position to kiss.” The girl chirped. “Come on Shivaay Bhaiya. Show her what you got.”

Anika awkwardly looked away. This was not what she had expected. Of course she wouldn’t mind but Shivaay didn’t sound keen on the idea.

“You get a fifteen percent discount if you kiss!” The man shouted.

“And you know I am the country’s richest businessman.” Shivaay snorted. “Anika we can sit.”

Anika nodded and Shivaay gave them a meaningful look. The girl, Vani, frowned. “You are ruining Christmas cheer.”

Anika sighed. Turning around, she almost crashed into Shivaay who looked at her curiously. Taking him by surprise, she stood on her toes and pressed her lips on his cheek quickly before moving away. That got various reactions from the people around them. Few hoots, a few murmurs of how it was not a kiss but two people were not actually listening. Anika had quickly walked back to the table while Shivaay stood there, still shocked. When he finally realized he was being looked at, he walked to the table too. The moment he sat down, Anika mumbled “Sorry. Had to.”

You didn’t ‘have to’. A part of Anika’s whispered. You were being an opportunist. Shutting off these wild justifications, Anika began going through the menu, not even looking at him.

A while later, she heard the clank of metal against glass and looked up to find Vani standing at the center. “The food is now ready to be devoured.”

Chairs scraped against the wooden floor as everyone got up to have the food. Anika looked at Shivaay who raised a hand in front of her. “Shall we?”

Anika simply nodded and placed her hand in his, letting him lead her to the rows and rows of food. Anika was confused, not being able to decide anything.

“Honestly how am I supposed to choose from so much of variety? How will I ever get enough of this?”

“Well try some. We’ll have the rest some other day.” Shivaay suggested. Anika stiffened for a moment. Some other day? Did he just imply the possibility of more such hangouts?

“Or you could stand here all night and not have anything at all.” Shivaay looked at her with a confused smile and Anika walked ahead. As they filled their plates, Shivaay went on to say how a few dishes here were his favourites. As they sat down and ate, they got into conversation discussing about everything and anything, making the most of the little time they got with each other.

They didn’t realize how long it had been until Vani finally came to them with a grin. “Well dearest lovebirds, it’s eleven and we’ll have to shut. We would love to let you continue your date but protocol!” She shrugged and Anika and Shivaay looked at each awkwardly.

“You don’t have to make it awkward for her. We barely talk.” Shivaay sighed after Anika walked to put away her plate.