A Blind Date - part 1

Anika tapped her fingers against the wooden table impatiently. Her eyes flitted to her phone. There was no message, no call.

Where are you Daksh?

It was their dating anniversary. Yes, Anika knew their relationship had been rocky these last couple months but the least she could expect was him not standing her up at a very busy and high-class restaurant.

The waitress approached her again, with a mix of annoyance and sympathy.

“Ma'am, I am sorry but you've been waiting for almost an hour now. You could either order or clear the table for the guests waiting.”

Anika bit her lip to keep herself from crying. This was getting ridiculously embarassing. She looked around to see a lot of customers staring at her with those apologetic looks and she'd never felt more pathetic in her life. The line outside seemed to grow and she could only wonder how much everyone else must be annoyed.

She knew at least one thing. She was dumping Daksh and never seeing him ever again. That asshole was going to pay for leaving her standing like this.

She had only placed her hand on her phone to pick it up when in a flurry, a man came and sat in front of her. “I am so sorry darling. Traffic was a bitch.”

Anika furrowed her brows. Darling? Before she could say anything, he had asked the waitress to give them a few minutes and as soon as she lrft, he smiled at her. “I am Shivaay, sorry for dropping this on you but sort of looked like you really needed help out of the situation.”

In any other situation, Anika might have been impressed but currently, she could only feel more embarsssed. “I would have left anyway. You didn't have to.”

“Well, you are at a nice romantic restaurant, you look beautiful tonight. Consider this a blind-date.” He offered with a small smile.

Anika looked at him for a few seconds.

“Consider this a blind date? You don't know me, I don't know you.” Shivaay suggested.

“You can call me Anika.” She smiled. It wasn't that bad an idea anyway.

---

As she went through the menu, Shivaay looked at her curiously.

“I'll have pasta... What do you think?”

“They have really good pasta.”

“No, I mean what do you want to have?”

Shivaay shrugged. “I love their food. I can have anything.”

And so, she placed an order for the two of them. Shivaay looked around the restaurant and Anika took her time to look at him. His hair was perfect set, beard freshly trimmed. He was impeccably dressed and Anika was sure he worked out.

“So, anything about you this blind date should know?” Shivaay interrupted her flow of thoughts. Anika wasn't sure if he had noticed her checking him out but he had a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

“I am Anika Trivedi, had been in a year-long relationship before you showed up.”

Shivaay grinned. “So, you decided to ditch your boyfriend as soon as you saw me? I mean, I have received a lot of compliments but this one is really flattering.”

Anika laughed. “Well, technically you are being such a nice man and it made me realize I can have better than someone who won't even answer my messages. But yes, you should be flattered. You do look good.”

“I am.”

---

Half a pasta serving later, Shivaay laughed as Anika narrated an anecdote from last week.