Chapter 7

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing. I squint my eyes and search for my phone only to realize that my phone is on my desk across the room. I groan and struggle to get up. I instantly feel light headed when I stand up. I stumble over to my desk and answer the phone. 

"Hello?" I grumble.

"Layla! You're alive!" Katherine shouts through the phone.

"Yep," I reply and sit down at my desk.

"Listen, I'm really sorry for leaving you last night. Elliot just kept talking and at one point he was started puking which lead me to helping him to his dorm," he apologized, "so I'm sorry. I tried to call last night because I couldn't find you."

"It's fine Katherine, just don't leave me for too long again because last night was pretty brutal," I chuckle and change the tone of the conversation. 

"Yeah, that's what heard."

"What? From who?"

"Garrett. I ran into him in the dining hall this morning," she explained.

"Got it."

"So how was the drive home with him? Anything happen?" she asked suspiciously.

"He wasn't the one who drove me home," I hesitated.

"What? Who drove you home?"

"Just this guy was the bar," I played it off.

"Name?"

"Um," I hesitated, "I don't really remember."

"Oh my god," Katherine laughed, "you're insane. Well, next time don't get rides from people you don't know."

"Noted," I replied. 

After about ten minutes of talking to Katherine on the phone, we planned to hang out tonight. I set down my phone and get up to get changed into something comfortable. I had the urge to go to library and get homework done because if I tried to do it in my room, I would fall asleep instantly. I get changed into high waisted jean shorts and an oversized t-shirt. I end up putting my hair in a high pony tail with a scrunchie. I search the room for my vans. I spot them near my closet with with my purse beside them. I realize my key is in my purse when I put on my vans and reach for my purse. I search for my key in my small black satchel and notice a piece of paper. I pull it out and realize it was my bill for my drinks last night. My eyes widen to the amount of money I spent on whiskey and coke. I shook my head in disappointment and sigh. I walk over to my trashcan to throw away the bill when I notice writing on the back. It was a phone number and an "-N" underneath. As I stand there in hesitation, I assume Nick wrote that on my bill last night when we were talking. I stand there tempted to put the phone number in my phone. I shake my head and put it down on my desk. I grab my book bag and key and headed to the door. I stop when I grab the door knob and turn around to stare at the bill. I sit there and contemplate to take the piece of paper or leave it. I fight my tempted thoughts but ended up giving in by stomping over and snatching the piece of paper. After breaking my own rules, I walk out the door.

When I get to the library and find a spot to call my own for a couple hours, I get out my laptop and books. I get myself situated before I take out the bill with Nick's number on it again. I look at it and take out my phone. I type in the number into a new message and slowly type.

"Wow, you're smooth. Thanks for last night.

I stare at my text and take a deep breath before I press send. I throw my phone in my book bag and check my emails. As I sit there with my headphones in for what felt like ten minutes, someone pulled out my headphone.