Chapter 8

The past two days has given me some time to think about myself and my choices.  I concentrate on every crack I step on and watch the morning grass sway in the direction of the false winds. I think of Nick's lips and touch on mine and shake my head instantly. This whole weekend has made me sick from overthinking. I walk silently to my first class of the week which happened to be Nick's class. I think to myself the consequences I would experience if this secret of mine ever came out. The only person who knew about Nick was my best friend, Lilian, who I trusted and who did not attend at Emory University. Whoever I was on Saturday with Nick is completely gone. The person I am right now does not feel spontaneous or peaceful but only anxious and fearful. I knew I made a huge mistake by not only letting myself go with him to Talulah but for kissing him. It was me who accepted and it was me who pulled him in. Butterflies fill my stomach as I come close to the building. I take a deep breath and walk in slowly. I ease myself around corner, hoping I won't run into Nick before class. I spot the classroom down the hall and instantly felt nerves run through my veins. I speed walk to the room and make my way to my empty seat across the room. I walk over and see Katherine wave at me. 

"Hey," Katherine said.

"Hey," I reply quietly as I sit down.

"What's wrong?" 

"Nothing, just tired," I exclaimed.

Katherine didn't believe me one bit but she let it go by giving me a nod. I look out window, trying not to drown in my thoughts. My stomach drops when I hear the chatter die down and the door close. Once again, I refuse to look at Nick. I hear his folder hit the desk and the sound of him writing on the chalkboard.

"Good morning," Nick greeted us, "who here did the assignment that was due today, huh?"

More than half of the room raised their hands, including me.

"Well I'm glad you guys can put on a show because only eight of you turned it in online," he raised his voice, "so, to the people that falsely raised their hand, get your paper in as soon as possible, please. It isn't something you can't work with."

I slowly moves my eyes closer to his figure that stood in the front of the room. When my eyes were directed at the desk, I quickly glanced at Nick. Nick was already a step ahead of me as he was already discretely studying me. He took his eyes off of me and began to ask students questions about the assignment. As he was speaking with such passion as it came to teaching, I heard whispering near the back of the room. I turn my head back and notice these two girls giggling and pointing distinctly to the front of the room. I assume they are talking about Nick when they look at him up and down and smirk to each other. I instantly roll my eyes and look away. I feel a hint of jealousy boil on my cheeks. I try to block out every giggle and look out the window to distract myself.

"Ladies," Nick speaks up to where his solemn tone catches my attention, "I'd rather you not talk while I'm up here teaching."

I look away from the window and to Nick. We catch each other's eye and he immediately gave me a small smirk. I blush and look down. Nick must have known that I was getting bothered by the girls gawking over him because he seemed very pleased with himself after excusing the girls. 

The class went by for what seemed like forever and Nick's lips were so intoxicating that I couldn't focus on a word he was saying. I awaken from my thoughts when people started to pack up.

"Want to come over when you're done with classes today?" Katherine nudges me as I get up.

"Sure, I'll probably be there around three, if that's cool?"

"Duh," she chuckles.

As we both walk by Nick's desk, I try my hardest to act like I was extremely concentrated on Katherine and I's conversation so he would get the idea to not try to talk to me but I guess I wasn't trying hard enough.