Ch. 1 - The Return Home

John Vanderbilt had been gone for two years from Sanctum One, or the first sanctuary. He had never been in a radiation suit before, nor stepped beyond the boundary into the world outside, still quite fetid with radioactive chemicals from the apocalyptic blasts back in 2019 – now, it was 2032, and the outside world beyond the sanctuaries were not going to change until every inhabitant was long dead. He had been sent on a mission, orders of the Queen and King, to make the population of Sanctum Two, the sanctuary in Texas, more diverse and possibly add demonic spawn to their population as well. His rulers could have very easily sent sperm to the Cooperative branch at that sanctuary to artificially inseminate any women of childbearing age, but John wanted to actually go and experience the outside world and meet other people; with this came his favorite thing of all – sex. There was more than enough of this to indulge in to go around, but not by much. The second sanctuary, mostly with survivors who made the cut from the outpost in Bora Bora, was only populated to just over a hundred people when he got there. Two years later, it spiked by sixteen more citizens because of John's tendency to be always horny and the women more than willing to lay in bed with him. He already had seven back at Sanctum One, some of whom were approaching adulthood by his return, so his total progeny amounted to twenty-three.

 He already had seven back at Sanctum One, some of whom were approaching adulthood by his return, so his total progeny amounted to twenty-three

Of course, John did not look at all like he was the biological father to twenty-three children. He was thirty by what the eyes could tell, but in actuality, he was ten. That was one of the curses of being half-demon; John aged at an accelerated rate compared to normal humans. He didn't mind it too much, though; after all, he was still very handsome. He had been when he was younger at five or six, but at ten, it was like he got better with age, like a fine wine. His flaxen blond hair was clipped short and neatly, and unlike when he was younger, he did not put gel in it anymore to tame it. It was like he let his inner beast free. It was tousled in the front, drawing some attention to his hazel eyes and the distinctive red eyeshadow he was ordered to wear, along with his half-siblings, to signify his status as Demon. His face was chiseled, and his body was perfectly formed in a masculine, muscular shape standing at six-foot-two. He wondered if the twins, Hunter and Axel, had returned from their identical mission to Sanctum Three in Virginia – he missed them. He missed everyone, in fact.

Upon his return, he paid a visit to the compound where Their Infernal Excellencies, Queen Melanie and her devoted consort King Elijah, resided with their children, the Prince and Princess of Regnum Infernale. He had used transmutation to get up to the front door, where he knocked loudly. He heard footsteps on the other side, where a young man with soft handsomeness looked at him at almost eye-level – he looked to be roughly eighteen or nineteen years of age, and the first thing John noticed was his long, light brown hair in a perfect wave down toward the ends of his strands. He had a healthy complexion, light blue eyes, and a striking smile that greeted him.

"Uncle John?" he asked; his voice could have been that of a woman's, it was so soft.