Ch. 2 - The Ways of the World

The following week, John, Lydia, Hunter, and Axel had been standing in the Grand Hall on the stage, waiting for all children of demonic descent from the sanctuary to attend their first day of their education at the Azazel Academy. The academy was not a physical place, but an embodiment of everyone present, and lessons were to be held from 9:30AM-13:00PM from Tuesdays to Fridays. Luckily, all four instructors had a diverse set of powers to teach about. Lydia, a prolific clairvoyant with the ability to conjure things into existence or from another place entirely, had grown to develop illusion manipulation and pyrokinesis. The twins, identical in every way, had now developed powers unique to them which helped others tell them apart; Hunter developed hydrokinesis like John had, as well as divination. Axel only developed pyrokinesis in addition to their shared transmutation, concilium, and telekinesis. They all were dressed in mostly black with red accents on their clothes, and they all donned the red eyeshadow in their inner eye sockets, as did the students as they walked in with their parents, mostly mothers.

Most of them were only half-human, so only a few stayed that truly took interest in what their children were being educated on. John took the liberty of smirking at a few of the women he recognized, and he knew right away that the students with them were his own kids – he had a total of four daughters and three sons in Sanctum One. They all physically looked to be between twelve and twenty-four years old (in actuality, between four and eight), not a far shot from how old the other students were. Five fathered by the twins, three mothered by Ashley, who could not attend but their human fathers were there. In addition to this were Anathem and Desdemona, the royal children, wearing mostly red to distinguish themselves. In total, there were seventeen students. When they all arrived, John stood tall and spoke charismatically to the small crowd of younger demon spawn, all staring up at him with their red-shadowed eyes.

"Welcome everyone," he said, holding his arms out with a cordial expression plastered on his visage. "I am John Vanderbilt, one of the Archdukes of the House of Langdon. This title is also shared by," he gestured over to each twin as he knew them, "Hunter and Axel Baxter," and he turned to Lydia, whose blue eyes stared at him indignantly, "and the lovely Lydia Blackwell." She fixed her red tresses and moved forward to give her say, putting her hands together.

" She fixed her red tresses and moved forward to give her say, putting her hands together

"Hm... I am not good at public speaking but... welcome! I'm glad to see you all, some of you for the first time while others are familiar faces," she said. "I look forward to assisting some of you with your powers."

The twins stepped forward next and spoke in unison: "welcome, students. We are the Baxter twins, and we can use telekinesis, transmutation, and concilium. We look forward to helping our kind grow stronger and more self-aware of their powers."

The students were dumbfounded – the twins were practically one person with how perfectly in sync they spoke. They looked at each other, and then back up to John, who raised his hands, using concilium to get their attention effortlessly.

"To begin, who can tell me where our kind comes from? Who are we?" John asked.

No one raised their hands – it was like crickets were in the Grand Hall. He sighed and chuckled, shaking his head until someone spoke; his eyes were diverted to a blonde-haired girl with short, tousled tresses who uncannily resembled Lydia. In fact, he knew exactly who she was. It was Lydia's daughter by him, and he only remembered her being born two years before he had to leave. She now was six, but physically around eighteen to nineteen.