Ch. 8 - Test Run

"Damn, where is he?" Madison asked, sitting on the sofa in the compound Elijah let the witches stay in for their endeavor.

"He should be back shortly," Myrtle said, trying to remain calm.

"It's been about an hour," Cordelia mentioned. "Should we maybe-"

Suddenly, the door opened, and Elijah walked in. As it shut, he leaned against it and slid down to the floor, holding something in his hand in a poorly concealed manner as his defined face was blanched like a sheet of paper. His glacial-colored eyes lost their luster as he stared off into space. His lean form was shaking wildly, the object in his hand as Cordelia and Mallory approached him.

"Elijah? Are you alright?"

"You look like you'd seen a ghost," Myrtle added.

"I think I did," Elijah replied, being helped to his feet by the two powerful witches who approached him. They took him to sit next to Madison on the sofa, and she moved aside to give Cordelia and Mallory some room to sit with him. Mallory placed her hand on his forehead, feeling he was breaking into a cold sweat, one of fear and trepidation.

"Did you get what we needed?" Cordelia questioned.

"Yes..." He held the object, poorly covered in black fabric. "I have his skull for the main event."

"What did you see that's got you so scared?" Madison asked, sitting up on the sofa next to them.

Elijah shook his head: "Ashley Campbell, our half-sister and High Priestess, is dead." He paused. "She was... disrobed in the Lodge... covered in blood... her heart was ripped from her chest. Her throat was cut..." He looked to Cordelia, into her deep brown eyes. "I think he killed her, to spite me. He knows something is up."

"We have to hurry," Cordelia said

"We have to hurry," Cordelia said. "For the test run, you need to stay calm. We will give you as much time as you need, Elijah."

"I don't know if I'm up for it."

"We must hurry," Myrtle said. "If the Prince knows something is up, we have to take him by surprise. We have to march four feet ahead of him."

"You're right, Auntie Myrtle," Cordelia said, patting Elijah's shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took a total of two hours for Elijah to compose himself, and Myrtle took the liberty of even brewing some tea for him. It helped him soothe his nerves more and more, making him more confident for the first attempt at changing the tides of time with Tempus Infinituum. He heard water being run in the bathtub in the bathroom, and he stood up to walk toward the doorway, where Mallory was feeling the water for herself. She looked back at her son and smiled slightly, standing up and approaching him.

"I attempted this," she said. "I tried to save Grand Duchess Anastasia from being killed by the Bolsheviks."

"Who? Grand Duchess?" Elijah asked, intrigued by the title. "Of which kingdom? Was she royal?"