Thirty-Four

Girls.
Twins.
Scarlet and Ruby Black.

Red eyes exactly like their father and so I named them as such.  That color represented who they were and I knew they were more vampire than werewolf, that alone I could see from their eyes, for they were far different than their older sister's beautiful brownish hues.

Pierre arrived just before they were born and assumed they were developed so quickly due to them being conceived with human blood in both Valor and I and it caused them to grow at such an alarming rate because it was passed into their systems.

I stared down at my daughters as they slept, their features soft and delicate as I let my gaze travel over their faces. Ava sat next to me, her curiosity evident as she peeked over my arm at her sisters.

It's been two weeks without any news.

"Babies." She said as she pointed.

"Yes. Babies." I said to her quietly.

I watched as Cassius walked in quietly, Raven following and Ava held her arms up to her and Raven took her with a smile.

I stood up, holding my girls close to me as I stared at Raven.

She knew what I wanted to know. My same question everyday for the last two weeks.

"They think they caught his scent, but...they're not sure." She whispered.

"Why not?" I asked.

"It was so close." She said.

"How close?" I asked.

"Just in the trees, the ones facing the house." She said.

No one knew his scent like I did.

I was walking slowly as I gathered my senses, Raven following behind me quickly.

He was potentially nearby and the idea alone had my entire being hyper focused on finding my mate.

I walked down the stairs to see my family gathered around as they all spoke in hushed whispers.

"What's going on?" I asked.

They all looked around at each other, no one saying anything and Solomon growled with disproval.

"They saw him, but they don't want to tell you." He said.

"Why wouldn't you tell me?" I asked.

"He attacked me. He didn't know who I was." Pierre said.

"The human blood is still in his system?" I said.

"Fragments, but I think he isn't feeding in attempts to bring himself out of the frenzy." Pierre said.

I was confused.

"That will work?" I asked.

"He hasn't found what he's looking for. He'll do anything to get back to the taste he most values." Giselle said as she stared at me.

"You think he's looking for me?" I asked.

"It is my understanding that he drank from you while the two of you were under the influence. You're the ultimate high for him if he's fueled by human blood, but the side of him that is sane refuses to let him venture too close until he knows he won't kill you." Pierre said.

"Stefan could come back for him." Raven hissed

"Then why are we waiting? Lets solve this right now. We should bring him here." I said.

I was tired of waiting, I was ready to fight if I encountered anyone who put more distance between my mate and I.

"It could be a set up. Unless Valor escaped somehow, Stefan could be using him to lure you in." My mother said.