14: Fake It

Before you get into the final part of Fake It I just wanted to say thank you for over 300 reads and all of the votes. It means a lot to me. I will release a part telling you when the sequel will be out soon. For now, please enjoy. It was quite the ride writing it so I hope it's the same while reading it. Thanks again.

ONE MONTH LATER

》NOW》

Alyssa and I had tears running down our faces. Tom held me in his arms, too stunned to say a word. The coroner carried his body out on a stretcher in a black bag. It was like time had slowed down. This couldn't be happening. Just a few hours ago Tom had assured me that everything was okay. What had happened? What had changed to bring us to this moment? He couldn't be gone. Not now. He was supposed to be doing better.

FOUR HOURS EARLIER

I sat down on my bed and sighed. Paris was definitely the right choice for a vacation. Alyssa sat on her bed, staring at her phone. I texted Tom.

Me
Is everything still good back home?

He didn't reply for thirty minutes. My phone rang.

"Hey. Why didn't you just text me?" I asked with a little laugh.

"I'm sorry, Luna. Something bad has happened. I--I don't know how to say this. Is Alyssa with you?" Tom asked.

"Yeah. Tom, you're scaring me. What happened?" I asked.

"Put the phone on speaker," Tom said.

I did as told.

"Okay," I said, "Now, what's happening?"

"It's Jake. He's gone," Tom said.

"What? What are you talking about?" Alyssa asked frantically.

Tom sighed, "I'm sorry. I didn't want to be the one to tell you. He--he killed himself."

"We're coming home right now," I said.

I hung up and raced to get my stuff together. I fought off the tears that threatened to spill, packing my things frantically. Alyssa moved slowly and silently.

"C'mon 'Lyssa. We have to move fast. I'm booking a flight right now," I said, pulling out my phone.

"What's the point?" Alyssa asked, sitting down on her bed.

I sat down on my bed across from her. I grabbed her hand.

"The point is that we need to get home. We need to see Jake one last time. He would want us there, grieving with our friends," I said. Alyssa pulled her hand away to wipe the tears that were rolling down her cheeks.

"I just don't know why. Why would he do this? I thought we were happy," Alssa said.

"'Lyssa, you know that Jake had some issues. He wasn't always mentally stable. Something was bound to happen. I just wish it wasn't this," I said.

"I wish it wasn't this either," Alyssa said.

》 NOW》

I sat in the police officer's chair by his desk, tears staining my cheeks.

"And your friend had struggles with his mental health before?" the officer asked.

"Yeah. He was in and out of mental hospitals when he was younger. He had a lot of issues. He must have stopped taking his meds or something," I said.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Ms. Williams. That's all I need. We have enough to rule this a suicide," the officer said.

I got up and put on my coat, walking out of the precinct. I found Tom at the front door. The moment I saw him I broke down. He pulled me into his arms, kissing my forehead. I cried into his chest.

"Why? Why did he do it?" I asked, my voice muffled by Tom's body.

"I don't know, baby. I don't know why. He seemed fine and then, next thing I knew, he was gone," Tom said.

"I didn't even get to say goodbye," I said through the sobs.

"I know. It's okay. He's in a better place now," Tom said.

"That's bullshit," I said. I pulled away and wiped the tears from my face. I felt angry. This wasn't fair.

"What?" Tom asked.

"That's bullshit," I repeated.

"What do you mean?" Tom asked.

"Don't pretend like you know where he is now, Tom, because I know that it's just a way to make me feel better and I'm not going to feel better," I said.

"Luna, you're not making any sense. What do you mean?" Tom asked.

"Stop trying to make me feel better, because you have no idea what I am feeling right now," I said. The tears started coming again. It felt like a tsunami. Tom tried to hug me again, but I pushed him back.

"Luna, I get it. He was one of your best friends," Tom said.

"He wasn't just one of my best friends, Tom. He was like a brother to me," I said. "As far as I can tell, you still have all of your brothers, so don't tell me you get it."

I started walking to my car, but Tom grabbed my wrist.

"Please--Don't leave, Luna. I'm sorry," Tom said.

"Tom, I love you. I really, really love you, but I need some space. Jake is dead, Alyssa is devastated, and I feel lost. I just need some time to figure things out," I said.

I could see tears in Tom's eyes, "Please don't leave. Luna, I love you."

I leaned in and kissed Tom. He moved both of his hands to my cheeks. The kiss was filled with love and pain. It was like a goodbye soaked in pain and tears. When I pulled away I put a hand to Tom's chest and pushed him away. I got into my car without another word and drove away.

I was already twenty miles from home when I pulled out my phone to call Harrison. He didn't pick up so I took a deep breath to leave the voicemail.

"Hey, Haz. I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving town for a while. All of my parts in Endgame and Far From Home are finished so I figured it would be a good time. I'll probably be in Phoenix with some of my family, but if Tom asks, tell him you have no idea where I am. I just thought I should tell someone, just in case something happened. Take care of Alyssa for me," I said.

I ended the message and placed my phone on the passenger seat. I needed a way to escape my life and I had nowhere to go except to my cousins in Arizona.

Another sob took over my body. I had no idea if I was doing the right thing, but I didn't care. I had to find some form of happiness, even if I had to fake it.