House: Chapter 16

Sixteen

My partner led me around the other dance couples on the floor, guiding me effortlessly. He was emitting that feeling of friendship to damper the way our bodies were pressed against each other, so I wouldn't be bothered by the weirdly intimate embrace of His arms. But I was perplexed more by His presence than what He did in that presence, or how the two of us looked together.

"You've developed quite a temper, haven't you?" He asked me half way through the song. I didn't reply, but my jaw became clenched, and I put as much fire into my glare as my bejeweled green eyes could hold. He breathed and chuckled at the same time.

"It seems you have made an impression on more than one admirer." He nodded towards the door that Mr. Baker had left through, but now it was offering an escape for someone else. Silas' back was rigid as he stalked outside. "Few people know the real difference between envy and jealousy, it seems. To be envious is to covet; to be jealous is to resent."

I had no idea what He was talking about now. "My patience is fading," I spit out acridly.

"He is rather a remarkable human, your Mr. Blake is. Have you ever read his soul?"

I shook my head quickly in annoyance, but let Him continue, "No, of course not. You respect his privacy; is that it?" He chuckled again, but didn't wait for my answer. "The whole time I was talking to him earlier, he forced himself to resist my essential friendship. Like he wanted to hate me. I cannot imagine why. He felt ashamed for the feelings he could not help. He is distrustful of his emotions. Very interesting. I am sure there is a story somewhere in there. I don not suppose... . No, I guess not."

He watched my face during His little speech, answering His own questions and musings as He read the thoughts flitting across my features. He was silent for the rest of the dance. The song ended, and He led me off the floor to an empty corner.

"Min, you are more human than you think -"

"Why do you say that?" I demanded. His words sparked something inside me - a red flag. Normal words, a simple sentence, but the way He said them, with melancholy and regret, I believed there was a meaning behind them.

"No reason," He said, too quickly. "Here." He handed a tiny, sealed envelop to me. "Be at that location, at that time. That is all I can tell you."

"What?! Oh, no, you are not leaving until I get some answers!" People were looking in our direction, and I had to lower my voice, but it still came out in a harsh whisper. "What is going on? Why are you interfering in my life? And why are my powers back?"

"Your life?" His whisper was just as heated. Even true friendship had its limits. "We gave you this life, if you remember, and it was not a gift! We have the right to do whatever we want with you. You gave us that entitlement. So you have earned whatever you get!"

Even in His provocation, Phil was irresistibly affable. I still felt like I could trust Him with my very being, and it was maddening. I almost believed that I had earned His rebuke and nearly lowered my eyes in shame, like a child that had been caught scribbling on the walls. But I knew what He was and fought the desire. I could control my own soul! But it was as though I was scaling a cliff with my fingernails.

"It's been over two hundred years! Why now?"

He breathed in and out very slowly and deeply. "That location and that time, Min. And bring the girl."

He turned from me, but I grasped his arm, "What girl?"

Looking over His shoulder at me, His face grew sad again. "Very coy, and very human," He said as He leaned back and kissed me briefly on the cheek, and then disappeared into the crowd of guests.