House: Chapter 27

Twenty-seven

"Need some help?"

Silas' head bumped the hood of his car at the sound of a throaty voice. He stopped at a gas station to fill up and check his oil. He was supposed to get it changed this week but never found time for that pestering errand.

A red-headed woman, dressed in greasy coveralls stretched, cat-like over the side of his car. He glanced at her, and did a double-take, seeing sparkling turquoise eyes watching him peculiarly. Next to Min, who he loved with all his heart, this woman was the most beautiful he had ever seen.

And he wouldn't touch her with a ten-foot cattle prod.

Something about the way she smiled seductively - too willing - that urged him to stop the fuel pump at half a tank and drive away as fast as his old Honda would allow.

"No, thank you," he replied in a voice that said, Hell no!

"You sure?" she purred.

"Yes," came his curt answer. He closed the hood with a slam and stopped the pump anyway. He could fill up again down the road if he needed to.

"Well, good bye," she called as he opened his car door and slid into the seat. He started the engine and drove away, not exactly squealing his tires.

As the gas station and the red-head were just a dot in his rear-view mirror, he let out the breath held tight in his chest. He made a mental note to call Min that night.

Were there more people like her in the world?

If so, the male species were in serious trouble.



Cat stepped back into the shadows of the adjoining garage next to the gas station. Balance shuffled away from the brick wall He'd been holding up for the past few minutes.

"Oh, I like him," She exclaimed, shimmying out of the overalls and giving Him the briefest glimpse of bare skin before Her usual slinky dress misted into form.

"What did you learn?"

"His levels of Responsibility and Decency are unusual for human males," She mused with a snaky grin.

"So he's a pansy."

"Oh, no," She said. "There's a strength in him. He's a fighter. You've got some serious competition there."

"He'll be dealt with," Balance announced with a surety He didn't feel. Love was balking Her duty. She needed to be set right.

"Hmm," Cat purred again. "I might claim him after all this is done and over with. He'll be fun to break."

He let out a disgusted sound. Cat turned that grin to Him and pressed Her body along His. "Speaking of fun...it's been too long, you and I."

"Been there, done that," He said, using a phrase He picked up in this modern era. "And I never wear the t-shirt."

Cat chortled, running Her long fingernails up and down His chest. "Clothing is optional...as you well know."

He shoved Her away from Him and faded from view. Once gone, Cat's grin dropped and She snarled. "I hate that woman!"



Tuesday and Wednesday passed swiftly with a lot of rain added in. Silas called on Wednesday night, and we chatted for a while. He told me that he met with several committees that handled foster children and that he was given a few weeks to put together a plan for permanent homes to be placed throughout the state. I informed him of all the house news, not once mentioning my meeting for the following day. He was still getting used to the idea of who I was, and I didn't want him to freak out about my visitors. Especially if I was to take Jennie with me. Those two had not had their conversation yet. No need to make this harder on both of them.