House: Chapter 20

Twenty

Silas stood in the corner of the high school gym, leaning against the side of the bleachers with his arm closed and watching Min hug Melissa. Their science project was a huge success, receiving the Audience' Choice for having the most entertaining booth. Letting the spectators fold and fly the paper airplanes contributed to that. Silas shook his head with quiet laughter as he remembered trying to fold one of the more complicated designs.

Min chuckled at him as he struggled and laid her bandaged fingers over his, helping him crease the paper in the exact places. The Supremes echoed in his skull, "Back in My Arms Again," and he breathed out with the rhythm.

He was happy for Melissa. Her science teacher was highly impressed with the effort and thoroughness of her project. He gave her top grades for it. She will pass science after all.

Moreover, he appreciated Min. Without her, who knew where Melissa would be right now? Would she be smiling like she did now? Would she accept the hugs of all her friends around her?

Probably not.

Silas shrugged away from the bleachers and left the gym. His date with Min was tonight.

Tonight...Min would choose a path.

vvvvv

We all celebrated after the science fair with a late lunch and banana splits at a local diner. By the time we arrived home and unpacked all the project supplies, it was after four o'clock. Holly's mom picked up Ashley, and I disappeared to my apartment to take a shower and mentally prepare myself for my date.

When I emerged, clad in a belted tunic dress, short enough to show my legs above the knee - I figured I should make an effort to appear like I was looking forward to my date - Mae, Amber, Tia, and Melissa came downstairs dressed for their dance.

"What on earth are you wearing?" I chuckled at them. Mae and Melissa were both wearing silver jumpsuits, had green face paint on and wore their hair in glittery spikes. Tia had on a lab coat and glasses, and Amber was hidden behind a dark, hooded cape.

"Since the spring dance always collaborates with the science fair, it's a sci-fi theme," Amber answered, thickly with a weird accent.

"Oh, I get it now. Who are you supposed to be?" I asked Amber. She threw back her hood. Her face was painted white and she had fake, fanged teeth protruding from her lips.

"Never mind," I said. They all grinned at me and moved towards the door.

"Wait," I called, going to the office where the camera was still docked into the computer. "I need blackmail material." I snapped a few pictures before they could take the camera away from me. Jennie came downstairs then, dressed for work.

"Speaking of blackmail," she said, grabbing the camera. She took a picture of me, dressed as I was. I actually wore make-up and curled my hair so that it fell in soft waves down my back. The whole time I dressed, I had the stupid thought of giving Silas a vision of me to miss. I don't know what I was thinking. Tonight was the night I was determined to set him straight. But I even scrubbed my skin in the shower until it glowed.

"Okay, fun's over," I told them, snatching the camera.

"Oh, no," Mae said, winking at me. "The fun is just beginning."

I shuffled them out to the car. Jennie left for work on her scooter. Ten minutes later, I dropped them off at the high school and drove to Silas' house. He lived in a historic neighborhood next to the downtown area. I found his house easily. He gave me the address the night before and told me to look for an olive-green stucco house with a giant willow tree in the yard. There were five stucco homes on his street, but only one with the willow tree.