House: Chapter 26

Twenty-six

"Well?"

Love turned around and saw the Essence of Balance appeared behind Her. She shot a frown at Him. This was supposed to be Her private place, a secluded oasis in the barrens of the Sahara. Here was where She felt Her essence take on a natural form, the beauty of a few plants growing out of the heat and sand of the desert.

"I'm afraid it's impossible at the moment. She has been surrounded by people, so I can't get to her."

"Disguise Yourself as a nurse or something," He suggested hotly. "Just do the job You were given."

Love faced the sparkling waters of the pool in front of Her. "Another problem has arisen. She knows Me. She will be suspicious, and I believe that she has a better control over her soul than We previously suspected."

Balance ignored that last part. "What do You mean, 'She knows Me'?"

"We met," She explained calmly.

"Excuse me?"

"I visited her in the hospital. We talked."

"About what?" His voice grew dangerously low, and He grunted in pain. Few Essences knew about Balance's special problem, but She was not so naïve as others would assume.

"Nothing important," She replied.

"Everything concerning Our business is important," He exclaimed. She decided not to comment, and after a moment, He asked, "Are You planning something?"

"Of course not. I do My duty. It is not My fault that Min is the way she is. Nor is it Yours," She added hastily. "But Min has a strong hold on herself, and she's becoming to realize the strength and power in her. We must be cautious."

Balance growled. "It's those people. That girl and that man. Humans screw up everything we work for."

Love almost laughed at that. The irony of His words...they were so contradictory, especially coming from Him. "The meeting," she reminded Him. "I can do it there. With the others to help control her, it can be done, even with her suspicions."

"Fine." Balance faded away, and Love sat upon the sand, dipping her feet into the water.

What Balance didn't know was that Min already took care of her own soul. Love, nor any other Essence, would be able to fix the dilemma of Min's love. She smiled a secret smile. She would play along for now and not let on that She knew anything. She never liked this Balance much anyway.

He didn't deserve what He covertly desired.



Min's welcome home party was quite an event. When Silas called Ashley to search Min's closet for her sizes, she mentioned it to him. Walking through the door, he was impressed, as was Min. Tears welled up in her eyes, and a golden smile graced her lips. He debated on pulling her out to the porch to kiss those lips before the smile disappeared, but he couldn't bring himself to take her away from the love and hugs showered on her.

Mrs. Baker prepared a delicious feast of roasted beef and vegetables. There was even a four-layered chocolate cake with "Welcome Home," iced on the top. The girls decorated the house with streamers and a huge banner over the stair banister. Silas was surprised to see all the guests. Mr. Baker and Titus were there, along with Trish and Jerome, Dr. and Mrs. Moore, and startlingly, Kevin James.

And much to the entertainment of the girls, except Jennie who watched with puzzled fascination, Silas kept close to Min's side the whole time, holding her hand, whispering in her ear, bestowing affections whenever possible. None of the adults seemed stunned at their warmth towards each other. Mrs. Baker gave Silas a curt nod, like he had finally come to his senses, and her husband clapped him on the shoulder approvingly. Trish and Jerome shared knowing smiles between the two of them. Even Mr. James, new to their little circle, took the whole exchange as natural events.