House: Chapter 28

Twenty-eight

The minutes stretched on. Finally, I was able to dry my tears. I focused on Silas in my mind. I saw his cloudy blue-gray eyes. I saw his teasing grin. I heard his booming laugh. I felt his warm arms, his gentle and crushing kisses. I wrapped myself in his memory, before the man I loved died from my soul.

"What have you done?!"

Her question took me by surprise. Love's melodious voice was appalled.

"What is it?" Phil asked.

"I can't do anything," Love explained. My eyes found Hers. She was still focused on my soul, searching for the mystery. I saw a hint of a smile - less than a hint - quirk the corners of Her lips. Secretly, She was pleased.

"What do You mean You can't do anything? We agreed that this would cause difficulties, and that it had to be fixed," Harlan said bitterly.

Oh, so that's how it is, I thought, glowering at Him. He was resentful of my new-found relationship. What Balance wanted, Balance got? Did He think that we could have anything ever again?

"I can't change it," Love repeated without any remorse. "Her love is not her own. She is tied to that man. I can't do anything without violating the laws."

Everyone stared at me. Phil especially, understanding blooming in His stare. "You melded with a human?" He asked. I shifted my eyes to Him. His question initiated a new awareness in me.

I did meld my soul with Silas. To prove to him how much I loved him. And I had been a little sloppy with the separation. I remembered having to severe some strands that wouldn't separate cleanly. I must have left a part of my essence in him, and his in mine. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But now it was my saving grace. The Essence of Love couldn't change that feeling I had for Silas because that would be altering a human's soul, unless I mended that redeeming damage myself.

I instigated the melding; I - and only I - could repair it. A tiny smile crept to my lips. For once, I had the upper hand.

"What's done is done," Providence spoke up at last. "Let Us concentrate on the reason We are all here today."

Ashley stood up from her seat on the boulder. This was the first time she had moved since my outburst. Her movement was enough for me to forget the conundrum with Love. I left Jennie, walking to Ashley, and cupped her face in my palms.

"Why, Ashley? Why do this? You have your whole life in front of you. Do you really know what you are choosing?" My whisper was strong enough for the whole party to hear. Yet graciously, They all moved a little ways back from me and Ashley. Even Jennie ambled over to the car and leaned against the hood.

"I'll be immortal, Min! Immortal! And beautiful, like you. Who wouldn't want that?" Ashley's face shown through her words.

"You can't be serious? You would throw your life away for that? No, I won't believe it. You're smarter than that. And you are beautiful."

She resumed her seat. She scuffed her toes along the ground, staring at the dirt under her feet. I sat next to her. "What kind of life will I have? I'm a foster child. There are no opportunities for kids like me. I get laughed at in school. Holly is my only real friend. And as soon as I graduate, I'm homeless. This is my best future."

"Amber would never allow-"

Ashley exhaled heavily, "Amber." She shook her head. "My sister will throw her life away for me. You know she won't even think about applying for college? She thinks that she has to get a job right away, so that she can support me."