Chapter Three

My last period of the school day was RE, a lesson I had with all of my friends. Walking out of my music class, which was modest in its intake, I put on a brave face. I was easily affected by cold comments like Zoey's.

When I arrived at RE, my friends were already seated. I set my bag down onto the table, attracting their attention.

"Hey," Alex said softly, "how was music?" She asked.

I shrugged, sitting down. "Same old, really," I replied, taking my books out of my bag.

"If it helps," Noah began, who was sat directly opposite me on the table in front. "I find you insanely hot." Caleb, who was seated beside Noah, made a noise of disapproval.

"What?" Noah asked in defence, "it's the truth!" I shook my head at him, scrawling the date down at the top of my page. "How would you word it then?" Noah queried, causing me to focus on the pair once more.

I watched as Caleb stared at me, cheeks suddenly flushing.

"Alright," Hailey said from behind us, "we already know—Isobel is the prettiest girl Caleb has ever seen." Alex spun around to laugh with Hailey before bumping me. I paid them no attention and simply stared at Caleb with my lips parted. I could always read Caleb, but this time it was different. Maybe that's what he did think, but I knew it couldn't be true.

I didn't get to find out since the lesson shortly commenced.

Eventually, the teacher set us off on an independent task but, since it was last period, everyone pretty much just chattered.

"So, Reagan's party," Noah announced, sweeping his hair back, "you going?" He challenged Alex first, and then around the rest of my friends. His eyes eventually landed on me. Having received a positive response from all three, it shocked him when I began to look uncertain.

"Why not?" Alex inquired, halting her illustration on the back of my hand.

I shrugged. "I don't know," I said, "I'm not sure,"

"This isn't about the Zoey thing, is it?" It kind of was, but I didn't want to admit it.

I felt as Hailey reached over and laid a hand on my shoulder, "I'm really sorry about that, by the way,"

I shook my head, "It's fine; it's not your fault." I assured her.

"But it's not true," Alex contended, "not any of it."

I nodded. "I know," I said, sighing, "but no one else does,"

Noah scoffed. "You're the most frigid thing since the Berlin Wall, I think everyone knows," Alex scowled at Noah, who shrugged in response, whilst I considered that comparison.

"It'll be fine," Caleb spoke abruptly, "we'll all be there with you."

I contemplated this, and the sincere light in Caleb's eyes made me cave.

I exhaled, "Fine." I replied, hearing Alex squeal.

"You won't regret it." She said, adding petals to her flower doodle on my hand.

I met Liam's eyes across the room for a fleeting moment but glanced away swiftly, startled. "I might."

When the school day was over, Noah accompanied me to my locker. "Caleb left rather fast, thought for a second he'd fancy you on his lap."

I groaned. "You never stop being R-rated, do you?"

He smirked, "It's what you love about me."

"Hey, Thorne, you giving out pictures?" I whirled around, spotting Ray Renton and his friends howling with hilarity as they leaned against their lockers.