Chapter Eleven

I woke up on Monday feeling dread. I didn't dream. Again. But, for some reason, I still felt good about today.

I turned around on my bed to see a coffee and a biscuit waiting for me on my bedside table. I smiled at the sentiment that my brother had almost always upheld. Taking a sip of my warm coffee, I saw that my brother had left me a note. Smiling, I opened it. It was short, just a few words, and probably an inside joke, but I just couldn't read. Some of the letters looked backwards and some even started to drop from their place in the page.

I sighed frustratedly, putting the piece of paper back down and sitting up in my bed. Let's hope my vision returns some time soon since I'm guessing I'll need it for school.

I got ready in time to even make my hair look nice before I left the house to get the bus. When it reached his stop, Caleb joined me and his eyes seemed to take in my appearance. He looked like he wanted to say something but he didn't, instead blushing. I smiled, though frowned at him quizzically.

When it was time to get off the bus, I noticed some chaos at the entrance of the school and frowned. Almost losing Caleb in the crowd, I felt him reach out to me to pull me across the hall. I smiled at him once we had cleared the havoc, finding out friends. Noah looked down at our intertwined hands, and I began to frown at him before a mirror appeared in front of me. I thanked Alex as I laughed, fixing up my makeup.

"Your hair looks cute today," Hailey said, putting her phone away when she spotted a teacher. I grinned over at her and thanked her but my smile soon faltered when I saw a storm of police officers walk into the school. Suddenly, screams broke out. But it was just one person screaming.

It was a girl, Harriet Thompson. I watched with wide eyes as they took her into their hold, wrapping handcuffs around her wrists.

"What's going on? What did she do?" I asked. No one around me seemed even the slightest bit bothered about what was going on, which put me more on edge.

Alex sighed. "She doesn't dream," she said, glancing down at her nails.

I froze. "What?"

"They're arresting her because a source has told them that she doesn't dream," Noah said, shaking his head as his mouth pulled in distaste. I couldn't tell which angle he was coming from.

"Good thing, though, it freaks me out," when Noah pulled a face at Hailey, I knew. He didn't like to see this. His eyes met mine for a brief second before I turned back to the scene in front of me.

"We all know why you're bothered, anyway, Issy," Alex said.

I frowned over to her, "What?" My heart began to pound in my chest, my hands shaking as I looked over to see Harriet sobbing.

Without a heartbeat, Alex pointed a finger in my direction. "She doesn't dream either!" She yelled.

I jumped, startled. I stared with wide eyes at my best friend of ten years. How could she? How did she know? Tears came to my eyes as I stared into her cold ones.

"Alex..." I whispered. But she simply stared back at me with disgust. I looked over to see some officer approaching me. In that moment, I saw that everyone else was pointing at me. Everyone else in the corridor was mirroring Alex. Every single person was pointing at me with those cold, cold eyes.