Chapter Six

Alex found me in the medical room at break time, assuring the school nurse that she would look after me before taking my hand and leading me out of the room. She started to guide me to our usual break spot but I stopped her, not wanting to see the others.

"No?" She asked. I shook my head. "Okay," she said, "how about the toilets?"

I only nodded, and she led me to the toilets that were closest to our usual spot, probably hoping I'd come to my senses eventually so that we could enjoy our break time.

We stood in silence and I sighed, turning to the mirror so that I could fix my makeup. I could feel Alex staring at me, and I glanced at her reflection for a fraction of a second to see her eyes tight with concern.

I busied myself by wiping away makeup creases or smears, before brushing through my curls gently. But I couldn't avoid her for long.

"What happened, in registration?" Alex asked, not taking her eyes off me.

I swallowed, trying to ignore her stare. I simply shrugged.

She leaned against the sink. "Did you eat this morning?" She asked me, trying to get a better look at my face. "Caleb said that you did. Did you faint?"

I sighed, turning to her. "I just panicked, that's all."

"About what?" She asked, cocking her head to the side.

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter now. I'm fine," I said, lying through my teeth. "Thanks for checking up on me, Alex." I smiled, watching her purse her lips.

Finally, she nodded. "I'll leave you be for now, but Isobel.."

"I know," I said, sighing, "I should tell you stuff. I know." She simply smiled, before grabbing my arm, tugging me out of the toilets.

"Come on! I'm starving."

When we met the others, Caleb immediately rose, his eyes concerned. I smiled at him, trying to play it off as much as I could.

"You okay?" It was Hailey that asked the question, despite Caleb's heavy gaze on me.

I nodded, pulling out a bag of crisps, "Nothing will keep me away from food." She laughed, saying something about what I said being relatable before she went back to the memes on her phone.

I sat down in the chair beside Caleb's, before grasping onto his hand and pulling him down beside me. I smiled at him and his cute, concerned expression.

"I'm fine," I reassured him, knowing that he was pondering asking me how I was feeling.

"Are you sure?" He asked, eyes flitting between his hand in mine and my face.

I nodded. "Now stop worrying." He eventually smiled and I gently let go of his hand, watching as he frowned over at me.

On our way to our Science lesson, Noah was silent. I wondered if it had anything to do with my discreet breakdown during registration.

"You can pretend all you want to the others," he suddenly said, "but I know that something is going on."

I frowned up at him, seeing him staring straight ahead.