Chapter Seven

The next day was Ricky's party, which tended to be quite the popular venue for a Friday night out. And we were invited. For a dreamless hermit, I was proud to say that I was going.

"When will you be here?" Alex complained down the phone. I stifled a laugh as I carefully ran my mascara wand through my lashes.

"My dad is dropping me off soon," I told her, leaning back to look at my finished work.

"Yeah but when?" I rolled my eyes, about to respond when I heard my dad call out my name.

"Right now, see you there, Alex,"

"Bye, Bel,"

I hung up, grinning; tonight was going to be good. I think.

I pulled a jacket over my outfit before pulling on some flats—I didn't want to scare my parents.

My dad was often a quiet man, but apparently had a change of heart as he started to give me a rundown of the 'rules' when we were in the car.

"And no boys,"

I deadpanned. "Two of my best friends are boys,"

"Okay, no boys apart from Caleb and Noah," he thought about that for a few seconds, "no boys apart from Caleb." He corrected, making me raise an eyebrow. I didn't question it though; it was probably a good idea anyway.

When we finally arrived at the party, I was the last one there.

Pulling up, my dad warned, "Remember, Isobel,"

I sighed, shrugging off my ugly coat. "No boys, no alcohol, no drugs, stay with my friends and get home before 1 am," I counted the list off on my fingers. "Bye, Dad,"

He watched in silence as I stepped out of the car and closed the door. Walking around to the pavement, I smiled and waved over at him before joining my friends.

I didn't have a chance to greet anyone as Alex instantly wound an arm around my neck and pulled me into her side. "Let me guess, your Dad gave you the Thornewood lecture?"

I sighed. "Always,"

"At least you made it," Noah said, intervening in our conversation as he opened the door for us. "And looking that good too," he winked at me, leaving me frozen in the doorway as he and Alex walked into the raging party.

Hailey followed in soon after, smiling at me as she tapped on her phone. When someone else joined me and threw me a concerned look, I already knew it was Caleb.

I smiled at him. "Let's go!" I exclaimed, grabbing onto his arm and hauling him inside.

Neither Caleb or I were exactly party animals, it's why we get along so well. That was going to need to change tonight; this party is being thrown by our school's most popular. We needed to blend.

Caleb grimaced at the liquid I was pouring into a plastic cup. "What is that?" I stared at it, considering the fact that I didn't know what it was either, and shrugged.

"It's vodka and coke," Someone said, sneaking up beside me and joining our small huddle by the kitchen counter.

I turned to my right to see Noah stood beside me, downing whatever was in his cup.