Exposition: An Introduction To Fae

<><><><><><><><><><>

Many years after the creation of the free peoples of Middle-Earth, another race came into existence, brought about by the will of Varda, more commonly known as Elbereth Gilthoniel, Queen over the stars, the Valar, and Arda. This race, known as the Fae were blessed with the powers of the great celestial lights, the moon, the sun, and of course, the stars. The Fae, like the elves, were given long lives and fair and lythe builds. But what truly separated them from all other races native to Middle Earth, were what were referred to as stars. Thousands of tiny glittering pinpricks of light that resembled their namesake, glittering in their eyes, clinging to each fine strand of their hair, and scintillating in their skin. For centuries, the Fae lived in peace in sparse settlements along the coast of south-western Middle Earth, under the rule of King Fael. As time wore on, the King's wife bore two sons, Nórui, and Cúran. While Cúran and Nórui grew into strong young Fae, King Fael's kingdom, Aerith, prospered. But the fate of the Fae would be forever changed, as greed, and the craving for power began to slowly torment the mind of King Fael's youngest, Cúran. He felt the Fae were superior to all other races of Arda, and advocated for the rule of the Fae to extend across Middle Earth. He gained a following, one that his father and brother were not a part of.

As a result of this divide, war ensued between the rebels and those loyal to King Fael. And this war lasted a harrowing forty years. When the war had reached its peak, a battle that would determine its outcome was waged; the battle of Aerith, that persisted for a gruelling month. In the meantime, Cúran, who'd become the leader of the rebels, and Nórui, who still followed his father with unwavering loyalty, had gained a staggering power, and it was on the eve of April 22nd, that these powers went head to head. Cúran against Nórui, brother against brother. When it appeared as though Nórui had triumphed, he chose to show his brother mercy, and spare his life, a choice he would live to regret. That evening, in the dead of night, Cúran, hungry for revenge and power, crept into the halls of what was once his home, and took the life of his father whilst he slept soundly.

News of King Fael's death reached the ears of all of Middle Earth, including those of the Ainur. When Varda heard of this, it acted as a final straw. She could not allow for this war to persist, she realized her mistake in giving the Fae so much power, and recognized their hunger for more. And so, she stripped them of their long lives, and their overwhelming powers, leaving them with only some magic, and lives not much longer than humans. And the decisions made by Cúran would forever haunt him and his followers, who became known as the dark Fae, who drew on the power of the moon. Nórui and his followers were deemed the light Fae, drawing subsequently on only the power of the sun.

Nórui and Cúran went on to become the Kings of their subraces, the light Fae remaining in Aerith, and settlements along Middle Earth's south-western coast, while the dark Fae moved north, living in the north-western regions of Middle-Earth, and creating their capital, Datia, situated along the base of the blue mountains. As time went on, Cúran and Nórui were replaced by their kinsmen, and the hatred between the light and the dark Fae gradually subsided, but they would forever harbour ill-will towards each other, for the events that occurred so long ago.

<><><><><><><><><><>